• Help Support TNDeer:

I have a bream question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I know that bluegill, will spawn multiple times in a year.
I got to thinking about this last night.

Back in the Spring I learned it takes several months for a female crappie to make eggs and then ultimately spawn.

How long does it take a female bream to make eggs?
Does the same female spawn every month during the Spring?

I have looked around but I haven't found much in terms of information on the net.
Never thought about it till now?

Well, according to:
Steven Smith serves as a wildlife and fisheries consultant at Noble Research Institute, where he has worked since 2006. He received a bachelor's degree in wildlife and fisheries ecology and a master's degree in rangeland management and ecology from Oklahoma State University.

A female bluegill can spawn 3 times in one Summer.
🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
I cannot answer your question(s) definitively. However, I believe I can say this definitively:
  • The answer to all your questions will vary based upon (A) location, (B) food availability, (C) water conditions, (D) weather/temperature and (E) moon phase.
In other words, "There is no such thing as 'always,' or 'never." What you observe on any given pond, lake, stream or river will not necessarily translate to any other pond, lake, stream or river. Nor will they necessarily translate in the exact same body of water from one year to the next.

Hence the reason me and all the folks I guide with always say, "We have to learn how to fish all over again every year." 🤦‍♂️

I think most baitfish spawn just once per year.

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

I know that bluegill, will spawn multiple times in a year.
I got to thinking about this last night.

Back in the Spring I learned it takes several months for a female crappie to make eggs and then ultimately spawn.

How long does it take a female bream to make eggs?
Does the same female spawn every month during the Spring?

I have looked around but I haven't found much in terms of information on the net.
Never thought about it till now?

Well, according to:
Steven Smith serves as a wildlife and fisheries consultant at Noble Research Institute, where he has worked since 2006. He received a bachelor's degree in wildlife and fisheries ecology and a master's degree in rangeland management and ecology from Oklahoma State University.

A female bluegill can spawn 3 times in one Summer.
🤷‍♂️
I don't know jack-squat about the mating cycle of fish

That being said....I've never sat and thought about it at night either. I'm trying to figure out my "mating cycle" at night 🤣

Maybe that'll change when I get my boat (tomorrow) and start fishing more. Wife will be pissed and that should take care of my "problem".

what rsimms said but i will add predation and female age will play a part in some impoundments.

to answer your question, females can mature eggs fairly quick and keep maturing them throughout the summer. (large and small eggs are produced and matured at different spawn times) if remember only about 2 months to produce the egg sac and they dont lay them all at once.

on ky lake depending on water temps the first spawn will be the largest colonies spawning then 20 to 30 days later another colony will move in and the females will move in again to spawn with them. bedding fish seem to dwindle in numbers as summer progresses or they bed a little deeper since they start drawing the water down, idk.

ive never found fish on beds in august or they may be so few i couldnt find them. but i know we start getting brown algae around that time so it may be a DO issue or a water temp issue.

I don't know jack-squat about the mating cycle of fish

That being said....I've never sat and thought about it at night either. I'm trying to figure out my "mating cycle" at night 🤣

Maybe that'll change when I get my boat (tomorrow) and start fishing more. Wife will be pissed and that should take care of my "problem".
1 to 3 times per year for @Specializedjon

1. Anniversary
2. Father's Day
3. Veteran's Day

If I'm lucky
You lucky bluegill!

My three days a year are Birthday, Anniversary and most Friday nights😆.

Just kidding. Been married 11 yrs. Most years during the bluegill spawn the water temp isn't right in my household.

RUGER, I'm sorry for derailing your thread. Normally it's specializedjon's fault but I started it this time. But I guess you can be thankful that female bluegills don't eat wedding cake so they still have the desire to go to bed each year.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back