• Help Support TNDeer:

if tacks had 12" heads...............

ethunter

I would have a tack driver.My 45cal optima is spraying 195 & 233g powerbelts all over at 50 yds.i am using 100g trip 7 pellets and trip 7 primers.im going back to the range tomorrow with 200g shockwaves to see if they will pattern and have some pyrodex to try.i also have 209 primers to try.
I have put around 25 rounds through this gun,is there any reason to think it is not broken in yet? I dont have alot of experience with smokepoles. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Get ya some valve gringing compound,take a oversized patch and put some on the patch and give it about 25 stokes,make sure that you go the full length of the barrel. Do this with about 8 differant patches. This will take out any burrs that are left over from the machining of the berrel. Next get someloose T-7 3f powder. Start out with 70 grains of powder and get your gun grouping good. Once you get the groups where you want,start increasing your powder in 5 grain increments, when your groups start to open up go back to the previous powder load. the lapping of the barrel takes some time but is well worth it. Also when shooting for accuracy swab between every shot.

Scoped?, steady rest?, you said clean, now or then? if then did it group at all with the first few shots?

I would clean it, start out with 75-80 gr. of powder, and increase as mentioned above.

I know this is an obvious, but is everything tight on the gun? stock, sights, etc. If using a rest, are you setting the stock on it or the barrel?

fdxx75

edited to add:

After the first two or three shots the barrel will be warm to hot, this will effect the remaining results. I have a tendency to shot one bullet, clean the gun reload and shot a second round, clean the gun shot a third round, to ge a true first shot result. Think about it how often do you shot two or three shots then aim at the animal......................? It is always the first shot out of the gun that day, most of the time.

Most muzzleloader problems I have encountered have been either bad scopes or mounts. That is where I would start. If that is not the problem start backing down the powder in 5 grain increments until you get a good group. If velocity is too low when you get groups try another bullet.

My first CVA loved the powerbelts. Heck it loved all the bullets I shot through it.

My new Winchester Apex (made by CVA) doesnt shoot powerbelts very well. THey are a bit too loose in the barrel. Now a 300gr xtp in the black sabot is another matter!

Try a different bullet, one with a sabot and see if you can get it to group.

The first scope I had on my encore gave me problems. New scope but it wouldn't stay zeroed after shooting several times. Also make a pencil mark on your ram rod so you know if your getting the bullet seated the same each time. I had that problem with loose powder and powerbelts, but I've been using the pellets ever since with no problems.

I am going to the range tonite and taking the scope off.If it still wont pattern with cva's recommended load(150g trip 7 and 195g powerbelts)they want the gun back. thanks to eveyone for suggestions

Latest posts

Back