• Help Support TNDeer:

in sonar tech, this is called a game changer

Cache":5z1gqx1y said:

thats the first gen panoptix, kinda like 2d real time. this is brand new which utilizes the new Plus mfd head. by the looks of it, its akin to real time ultra hd (megahertz imaging). looking at some on water results from the testers, one angler said he could see the blades on his roadrunner jig twirling. another said he could see LMB come up and look at his bait and then hit it. puts a whole new meaning to "video game" fishing.

the downside is the price for us normal people.

Interesting for sure. Just guessing here but what makes it "see" in real time is an exceptionally fast refresh rate. WIthin a year or two I bet the price begins to come down. Just hope I can update my Helix 10 with a new transducer instead of replacing the entire set up.

WTM":3vepezqs said:
Cache":3vepezqs said:

thats the first gen panoptix, kinda like 2d real time. this is brand new which utilizes the new Plus mfd head. by the looks of it, its akin to real time ultra hd (megahertz imaging). looking at some on water results from the testers, one angler said he could see the blades on his roadrunner jig twirling. another said he could see LMB come up and look at his bait and then hit it. puts a whole new meaning to "video game" fishing.

Gotcha. I don't see how it can get much better than that. Scares me to think about what will happen to the fish population when most people have one.

Cache":245cdq6o said:
WTM":245cdq6o said:
Cache":245cdq6o said:

Gotcha. I don't see how it can get much better than that. Scares me to think about what will happen to the fish population when most people have one.

Don't worry, I'll do my part by still figuring out a way to screw it up!

Gotcha. I don't see how it can get much better than that. Scares me to think about what will happen to the fish population when most people have one.[/quote]

Don't worry, I'll do my part by still figuring out a way to screw it up![/quote]

You and me both. 6 years later and I'm still trying to figure out my HB 798.

Not sure how it changes how you fish. Seems to be more than required when a fish finder does the same think just in still pictures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bloodtrailing":7cwvs0sr said:
Not sure how it changes how you fish. Seems to be more than required when a fish finder does the same think just in still pictures.

panoptix pinpoints the fish location exactly. no guessing or multiple trolling passes like on 2d, di or si. its especially effective on moving suspended schooling fish like prespawn crappie. once you get on them you can move with them, cast to them and see your bait move into the school. i could see this new gen being effective for pro fishermen if it does what they day it does to actually tell an LMB from white bass or some other fish.

Doesn't current technology show the exact location? Not sure how it would show fish from another location.

bloodtrailing":2c5o814q said:
Doesn't current technology show the exact location? Not sure how it would show fish from another location.

Panoptics is live. All other sonar, what you see on your screen is in the past.

With the new tech you 100% can determine species. You can even pull up to a dock and look under it. Garmin has definitely changed the game. I have a good friend that is on the FLW Tour and he just switched to Garmin. He said just wait until Aug-Sept when Garmin releases their new trolling motor.

bloodtrailing":1c5mn77e said:

no, only a 10 degree sonar cone from a 77khz signal would show some degree accuracy below your boat. a 45 degree cone from a 200khz sonar would show a width of however deep you are, ie if you are 25 feet deep the fish could be anywhere in a 25ft circle under your boat. in shallow water you will miss a lot of fish so the 200khz comes in handy. side imaging only shows the location in relation from your boat but not how deep they are located. a flasher sonar can give you real time returns. 2d can give you a false reading of how many fish there are below your boat if the fish are moving. one fish can look like six on standard sonar.

panoptix takes it and rolls it up into one unit capable of finding fish in real time out to 100-200 ft from your boat, using a 10 degree or so cone.

here would be an example of how it would benefit. prespawn crappie are always on the move in the spring. locate them with side imaging or 2d sonar. drop the trolling motor and turn on panoptix. slowly scan toward your way point of where you found the fish. now you know exactly where they are and how deep they are and in what direction they are moving. cast a 1/16th or 1/8th oz jig toward the school, watch you bait until it hits the school and start the retrieve. watch the fish hit the bait, set hook and reel it in. rinse and repeat.

here are some links on how sonar works:

https://deepersonar.com/us/how-sonars-work/

https://doctorsonar.com/blogs/educational-articles

Latest posts

Back