• Help Support TNDeer:

Is 300 gr too much?

cecil30-30

I just got my first muzzleloader this year (cva kodak) and i bought the hornady sst 300 gr bullets and was 'wondering if they would be too big and heavy to shoot out to 100 yds with?At 50 yards open sights i can put 3 shots all with in about 3 inches of each other.I put a scope on it the other day and i have not had a chance to sight it in with them.I was thinking of switching to the 250 gr sst's.What do you think?

LOL ask BSK, he shoots one that weighs like a half pound. :D

I personally like a bigger bullet however I heard it explained this way one time.
Dude said, think about it they are making muzzleloaders now that shoot farther and farther.
How much does your rifle bullet weigh?
Hmmmm in a way, even though a muzzleloader is slower it does kinda make sense that a lighter bullet would be better.
Still though, I like to hit them with half a brick bat. :D

I just got my first muzzleloader this year (cva kodak) and i bought the hornady sst 300 gr bullets and was 'wondering if they would be too big and heavy to shoot out to 100 yds with?At 50 yards open sights i can put 3 shots all with in about 3 inches of each other.I put a scope on it the other day and i have not had a chance to sight it in with them.I was thinking of switching to the 250 gr sst's.What do you think?
You're fine at 100 yards and then some with a decent charge behind that bullet. Shucks, last season I was hammering deer using a 410 gr. conical and 90 gr. of 777. I wouldn't have given a 100 yard shot a second thought. :) I have gone a bit lighter in bullet weight for this season, but only because I like to try different things. I did buy a new box of the big boys, just in case. :grin:

Do you have the mag or the pro ??The mag you can put up to 150 grains and have good knock down power out to 200 yards or so.If you are shooting the pro you can use 100 grains and get out knock down power out to 100 yards or so.If it's a new gun ?? Did you get a ballists chart with recomomended loads ??Always a good place to start.

I just did some shooting this weekend with my Knight MK-85 using 300gr SSTs, #11 caps and loose 777. I started shooting 90gr of 777 with the 300s and my groups were around 4". My velocity with 90gr was 1657fps avg. I then dropped back to 80gr of 777 with the 300gr and my groups were smaller (2"). My avg velocity with 80gr was around 1544fps. I think I'm going to stick with this setup as I want consistency.

I know one thing, the 300gr SSTs are hard to get down the tube!!! Definitely need a ball starter to get them going!

Latest posts

Back