• Help Support TNDeer:

It finally gave in

catman529

Had this ugly stik medium heavy 7' spinning rod since I was 12 years old, when my granddad bought it for me from Academy. It's been everywhere I have been, caught all kinds of fish, been thrown around, strapped on top of the family minivan, carried on a bicycle, lost and retrieved from the surf, lost and retrieved from the river, left out in the sun, changed reels many times, and still has been catching fish.

It's just another fishing rod to anyone else, but I am kind of sentimental, so it was a sad moment when I went to set the hook on a carp today, and it broke in half. To add insult to injury, the fish swam up into some bushes and I lost it.

a596abc019adfb50e90ae832d31a6a0e.jpg

I think I might replace it with one of the new GX2 ugly stiks.

I've considered looking for a piece of aluminum tube that would fit over the break, and epoxy it back together, if that will work, I don't know. Has anyone ever tried to repair a broken rod?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catman529":38e3y0sx said:
I've considered looking for a piece of aluminum tube that would fit over the break, and epoxy it back together, if that will work, I don't know. Has anyone ever tried to repair a broken rod?

Disclaimer: I have exactly zero experience repairing fishing rods.

I suspect that aluminum wouldn't work because once bent it stays bent. I would look at something flexible like plastic tubing.

Isn't that rod the one you unknowingly lost out of your kayak? As I recall you retraced your water route and found it stuck in some limbs. Or a giant squirrel was fishing with it. Or something.

Thanks y'all, I think I'll try and fix it.
TNCharlie":ed3qdfmw said:
catman529":ed3qdfmw said:

Disclaimer: I have exactly zero experience repairing fishing rods.

I suspect that aluminum wouldn't work because once bent it stays bent. I would look at something flexible like plastic tubing.

Isn't that rod the one you unknowingly lost out of your kayak? As I recall you retraced your water route and found it stuck in some limbs. Or a giant squirrel was fishing with it. Or something.
yes this one got snagged out of my kayak earlier this year, was hanging from vines with the reel dragging in the water. I've also fished it out of the ocean when the tide came in and washed out the rod holder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Back