• Help Support TNDeer:

It will never work!

moondawg

Not to hijack Jon's post, but I recall a few instances where a lure would be used, and someone would say, "you can't catch anything with that".

My dad is a fly fisherman. He ties his own flies, and tied one he called the "Crazy Elvis". He improvised a certain pattern a little and kinda made it his own. He catches trout with it on a regular basis.

Well, he went fly fishing for bonefish in the Bahamas (or Jamaica, don't remember). He was fishing with a guide. The fishing got slow, so my dad tied on a Crazy Elvis. The guide asked what kind of fly it was, and my dad told him. The guide said "you'll never catch anything with that, it'll never work". My dad then caught a bonefish just to prove him wrong. :D

So if you have a lure/fly you're not sure about, try using it. You just might be surprised and catch fish with it!

Back when I was a poor kid in the country and fished all the time on my rare occasions to the "city" I'd take my bankrolled coins with me and hit those penny/nickel/dime bubblegum machines (the ones that had assortment of rubber critters in the plastic bubbles). I'd add hooks and spinners and whatever else looked delicious and make my own bass lures. I can't remember naming any of them but I had some crazy looking baits. Some of them worked really well.

When I fished Cold Creek a couple of years ago, I used a Bass Pro June bug just for the heck of it. Fish had stopped biting the grub I was using, and we were nearing the end of the trip anyways, so I figured "why not". It was a shallow diver, and was about the size of a quarter. I caught my biggest fish (I think it was a drum, can't remember) of the outing with that little lure.

Latest posts

Back