• Help Support TNDeer:

Jug fishing in Tenn river?

Sucarnochee

Use to jug fish a lot years ago in rivers in Alabama. I never hear anything about people doing it around here since moving north few years ago. Is it worth trying on Tenn river or others ? Maybe it was just an Alabama red neck thing lol

Haven't done it since my buddy died that we went with.
Most of the time we were on the Cumberland in Dover.
We did several trips on the TN though.
Always caught a few but I missed every trip when they hung a true monster.
Good times, very good times.

I have a couple of boxes full of jugs sitting in the garage right now. Last time I used them was on the Tn River but I never really did any good there. If they're generating it can be a chore to keep up with them.

We used to jug below Wilson Dam in Florence. We caught a ton of fish over in the "Hole" baiting with yellow tail shad. We would fish the canal side from the locks down the river to the concrete plant at night. Usually fished along the island side of the canal. One trip and you could have fish for a year if they were biting and they usually were. We normally started with 100 jugs ...mostly quart Clorox bottles baited with a whole 6"shad. This area was best after July 4th for some reason.

Some people would fish jugs in the current on the river side of the island. That would catch a few fish and loose a bunch of jugs in the current.

As I understand it now Wilson Dam doesn't generate much power anymore. Without the generators running its hard to get bait. Also the fish don't bite as well.

I have tried jugs on Ky. lake near J'ville.....without much luck. Those were great times back then. I wish it was like that still.

I despise running jugs and noodles. They end up everywhere, and usually in dead water. When I set noodles, I anchor them with half a brick- not too much to sink the noodle, but plenty to whip the fish.

They wear them out every year on Ky Lake.Bait is key.Cut bait winter and spring.When the water warms up late spring and summer the cats move up also on the flats.Hot weather You can't beat a cheap cut hotdog for bait in 10 feet of water.

Latest posts

Back