• Help Support TNDeer:

Just cannot seal the deal!

RussellvilleRob

It has happened numerous times this year.... I can get one close, but he just never shows up for the party....
Yesterday afternoon, I had one answering my calls...I shut up and tried the patients thing....He cut the distance between us in half fairly quickly.... He ended up about 50-60 yds from me and was gobbling his head off on his own......I would let him do his thing then give him a couple plucks just to keep his attention... I bet I didnt call over 3 times all afternoon...

Just when I started getting a good feeling, he shut up and never showed... I gave him an hour and still nothing..

It is like I have a shield around me at 50-yds...Dang it!

Okay pros..... What to do?

When he's interested but just won't come into range, get up and walk at a turkey pace back away from your position (making the distance farther from the gobbler) while yelping a few times. You want him to think that the hen is losing interest and walking off. Once you've done this and gone about 75-100+ feet away from your original position, quietly hurry back to your original position and sit down and get that gun ready...and don't make another sound. He will usually pop up right in front of you.
He's thinking that the hen is on the move away from him, and he's keeping that same distance between him and her about the same...except this time you've coaxed him into the kill zone.
Works for me about 60% of the time

BlackBelt said:
When he's interested but just won't come into range, get up and walk at a turkey pace back away from your position (making the distance farther from the gobbler) while yelping a few times. You want him to think that the hen is losing interest and walking off. Once you've done this and gone about 75-100+ feet away from your original position, quietly hurry back to your original position and sit down and get that gun ready...and don't make another sound. He will usually pop up right in front of you.
He's thinking that the hen is on the move away from him, and he's keeping that same distance between him and her about the same...except this time you've coaxed him into the kill zone.
Works for me about 60% of the time
good advice if the land lays right

and if it doesn't i always start out not calling much at all but if that isn't working i get a little bit more agressive because by then i figure i've got nothing to lose

Either he has hens already and is giving you a chance, or he is only willing to commit so much before losing interest. Try getting aggressive or staying coy and scratch in the leaves. Usually it is a terrain thing, where they won't pop over a lip or something which holds them up if no hens are around. You can try walking off calling, but it is easy to get busted doing such. If a bird is 50 yards away, I wouldn't even attempt a move unless there is a serious terrain feature blocking you.

Birds that gobble like mad then vanish, usually have gobbled up other hens. There are tons of hens which are on the loose and not acquired a gobbler yet. Most I have ever seen in one season, these hens are unbred yet, and just roaming looking for a breeder. Be careful right now of making one gobble 10,000 times, or he will end up leaving with a hen who traveled to find him.

Like Setterman said, I would have went to scratching. Makes me wonder, if he was within 50yds, and you didnt see him, could he have caught you, and you never have known it? Also, as he said, He's gobblin, and the hens do go to him, could be what happened. Hang in there, it will happen. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back