• Help Support TNDeer:

Kayak Fishing

FourWFarm

I am thinking about getting a pedal kayak to fish in while the wife and I make some long weekend outings to various lakes this Fall. Anyone have any tips and/or suggestions? I have never even been in a kayak, but the pedal ones seem to leave your hands free for fishing.

You are on the right track wanting one with pedal drive but I will tell you my findings with them.

Most people are still going to some form of an electric drive for their Yaks. Either by trolling motor or the drive motors. So while the pedal driven ones do address some of the problems that anglers have with the paddle models, there still are things that are better suited for electric motors.

One of my biggest problems was actually getting mine to the water. You're either going to have to build a rack or buy a trailer, and that only gets you from the house to the lake parking lot. To get it in the water, you either gotta buy a dolly for it or drag it. And trust me, you're not gonna drag that sucker far before you get tired of it. Most of the pedal drive Yaks are right at 100 lbs empty, and then you've got to add in your tackle, life vest, anchor, maybe a drink or two to keep you hydrated out there, etc. The more you go, the more stuff you just gotta have, and that means loading and unloading. Then there is the room factor...in most of them, you are restricted to what you can reach while sitting in the cockpit. Storage compartments way in the front or back of the Yak are basically useless when in the Yak or at least they were to me. What I figured out was simply this: by the time I paid $2,000+ for the yak, then another $500+ for a electric motor, and then a trailer....I am at more money than what I could get an aluminum boat for with motor, trailer, and much more room inside it. I sold my Yak and haven't looked back. Lol

I have a solo canoe. I take a paddle, cooler, 1 rod, and a small assortment of tackle. I don't need to stand. I use this rig to keep it simple. If you can't keep it simple buy a bigger boat.

Thanks! I am just looking for something when the wife and I go camping to get on the water. Maybe 2 poles, paddle, and small tackle box.
I can take my aluminum bass boat if it is more than just a casual outing by myself.

You might consider looking at one of those Pond Prowler boats at Basspro. They weight around 130 lbs and will fit in the bed of a full size pickup. I got one of those cheap 4x8 tilting trailers at Harbor Freight to haul mine on.

exokie":3nqst161 said:
You might consider looking at one of those Pond Prowler boats at Basspro. They weight around 130 lbs and will fit in the bed of a full size pickup. I got one of those cheap 4x8 tilting trailers at Harbor Freight to haul mine on.

I got a bass pro pond prowler 10ft and 55lb trolling motor. Works great on the Holston river and lake coves..But I wouldnt try it in any ruff water. Got 2 seats if needed and very stable. Hauls in my truck bed, not to heavy for me to unload and put in at the boat dock. We really like it. Had it for 12-13yrs. no leaks. seats still good and have portable depth finder that I attach the transponder to the trolling motor.

I have a Jackson Coosa HD. I only fish skinny water with it. I love it. I take 3 rods, tackle box, cooler and paddle and have problem loading and unloading by myself. I can stand up and fish or sit and fish. Its really a comfortable float.

I found a cheap Sun Dolphin "journey SS " model on facebook for $150. its cheap, small, light and holds enough stuff for a short paddle trip. I would recommend the same thing for you before you buy an expensive "all out" fishing yak. One thing worth mentioning about the "drive boats" the drive system also adds to the depth at which they sit in the water. most I've seen add about 6 to 8 inches of depth. I paddle a lot of creeks and shallow rivers where those boats wouldn't work due to the depth.

My boat isn't the best but the investment is great. it's a lot of fun, cheap and gets the itch scratched when I want to paddle out and cast a line. It's not for big water or long trips but it doesn't eat anything either.

Here is the link: https://paddling.com/gear/sun-dolphin-j ... -ss-kayak/

Ps. DON"T pay more than $200 for a complete package (boat and paddle)

Back