Lake Glenville, NC

BigCityBubba

My family rented a house on Lake Glenville last week. My sister in law likes cool weather and she got it. It was in the 60's all week. Its your typical gin clear mountain lake which I have no idea how to fish. We got a half day guide on monday so we would hopefully catch some fish the rest of the week. Unfortunately, it rained until friday and we only got out one day after fishing with the guide. It paid off because he showed us a technique that we would never have thought of. We fished 5 inch weightless flukes right up against the shoreline when the sun was shining on the bank. This only works this time of the year because the bait fish are hatching. The water was so clear that the day we went out with the guide, we probably saw 30 to 40 bass in the 2 to 5 pound range swimming around the boat. On friday in a few hours time, I caught 3 bass and my brother caught 1. We both lost several more. If I had put a stinger hook on my bait, I probably could have caught 3 more fish. They were all good quality fish. On a side note, when we pulled the boat out of the water my brother went over by the bathrooms and noticed there was a sign saying don't eat more than one fish (largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, or walleye) a month and pregnant women should not eat any due to mercury levels. Maybe thats why there are so many good quality fish in the lake. No one is taking them home and eating them.

fish1.jpg
fish2.jpg
fish3.jpg

rockypoint

@BigCityBubba did you fish with Austin from Dreamcatchers? He's awesome and is the best. Anyway, if you ever come back to the area we have a cabin rental right on the lake that is very affordable, I've also put together a guide of tips for fishing the lake including hitting the herring spawn that I think you were working. Anyway, here is a link to the guide for fishing the lake: Lake Glenville Fishing Tips

BigCityBubba

It was dreamcatchers but I don't remember the guide's name. He did a great job. It was during the herring spawn. You left out the weightless fluke during the herring spawn on your report but its probably good to keep a few things secret. I don't know if we will ever go back but I would highly recommend Lake Glenville if you want to go somewhere relatively close in the summer and don't want to endure the extreme heat. 80 degrees is considered really hot in the summer on Lake Glenville. I would never consider going there to fish without getting a guide the first day. We never would have figured that lake out had we not gone out with a guide first.

rockypoint

Yeah, it's not a numbers lake and the fish can be pretty finicky especially during the herring spawn as they have so much real food to eat. I've used the flukes before but it just isn't one of my go to's however the patterns can get pretty precise there and something that is working one day doesn't work the next so Austin and the dreamcatchers team has definitely been a help. They taught me to fish the lake when I first got the property there and now is just a good friend so I can always get the skinny from him if I am struggling.

Latest posts