• Help Support TNDeer:

Leupold Scope Tracking Issues?

UTGrad

I have never heard of issues with Leupolds having tracking issues when adjusting the elevation and windage turrets until I start getting into some shooting forums. Reading some of the posts on these forums would make one think Leupolds are complete crap.

I thought tndeer would be a better sample of experience with Leupolds tracking. Forums can create the "group think" phenomenon where inexperienced folks immediately adopt the beliefs of someone who has 5,000 posts and are an "expert".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a lot of truth to what you read. When choosing a scope, Leupold is no longer on my list of options.

This opinion comes from years of long range shooting experience and from my PRS competition background.

markwondi":1agzsjge said:
There is a lot of truth to what you read. When choosing a scope, Leupold is no longer on my list of options.

This opinion comes from years of long range shooting experience and from my PRS competition background.

Hunting scopes also or mainly long range stuff? Pretty disappointing considering their prices on everything

My Leupolds track perfect. All are VXiii 3.5x10x40. All have been beat in rough country-above 8,000 in November and in California Desert way over 100.

I have a low end scope that tracked perfect. One day I left it leaning against a wall and it slid to the tile floor. No visible damage but it won't track anymore.

I believe I read that Leupold started using double erector springs to correct any tracking issues. I will say shooting forums are covered up with the herd mentality. They will all agree the newest thing out is the best ever and all others are garbage until the next new thing comes along.

Leupolds are set it and forget it scopes, and yes I do have several Leupolds and they are fine for hunting. Who needs a turret twister for this part of the country, not me.
I visit other forums also and yes Leupold scopes are considerd chitt for tracking, not sure about the VX5 or VX6 scopes.

280longshot":1c8tky3s said:
Leupolds are set it and forget it scopes, and yes I do have several Leupolds and they are fine for hunting. Who needs a turret twister for this part of the country, not me.
I visit other forums also and yes Leupold scopes are considerd chitt for tracking, not sure about the VX5 or VX6 scopes.

Do they hold zero well?

I've owned 4 Leupolds. 3 of them had some sort of issue. The last one, their CS gave me a hard time and expected me to ship the scope back on my dime even though it was brand new. Never again even though I really wish I could like them. I think they are the best classic looking scope for wood stocked rifles.

If you want a scope that tracks really well, the new Zeiss V4's are extremely good.

TNRifleman":90ht1hni said:
I've owned 4 Leupolds. 3 of them had some sort of issue. The last one, their CS gave me a hard time and expected me to ship the scope back on my dime even though it was brand new. Never again even though I really wish I could like them. I think they are the best classic looking scope for wood stocked rifles.

If you want a scope that tracks really well, the new Zeiss V4's are extremely good.
What's the correction factor on those V4's you've tested?

i've got 2 vx6hd 2 vx5hd and one mark5 hd. I had one that would track right as I went out. wasn't noticing it until 500yd. I kept hitting the edge of the 10" swinger on first hit consistently, then at 1000 yard I would just hold 1 moa over as that seemed to be how much it tracked. sent it in and they adjusted something and sent sheets to show before and after. never had a problem with it returning to zero.

my primary focus is on hunting and all do perfect for that as I don't shoot anything past 500 yds while hunting. and have only done that probably 3 times in 30 years. everything I try to keep in 300. but sometimes on the mountains you don't have a choice but to stretch out the shot and i'd feel confident in all my leupolds to dial up what I needed.

I sometimes wonder if those three little set screws on the vx6 and like really grab good or if they slip on some. I know that I can barely losen just one and sometimes remove the cap without touching the other two.

on my mark5 I have to loosen two to move it

JArender, I've noticed the same on my VX6 HD, those small set screws aren't the best, but I don't dial anyway . I have the Boone and Crockett reticle which works fine.
Can't say I would ever need more glass than the VX6 HD.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've got thousands of rounds with the VX6 and VX5 and knock on wood I haven't had a tracking issue yet. Very impressed with both.

rtaylor":ydc4mbq0 said:
I've got thousands of rounds with the VX6 and VX5 and knock on wood I haven't had a tracking issue yet. Very impressed with both.
Can you elaborate more, are you dialing, RTZ, etc.

280longshot":3hnmyeq4 said:
rtaylor":3hnmyeq4 said:
Can you elaborate more, are you dialing, RTZ, etc.

I am dialing. I got the CDS zero stop turrets. Once I sent Leupold the specs on my bullet and speed they had the custom turret to me quickly. I dial pretty much every time I go to the range. That being said most of my dialing also stops around 500 yards. I don't shoot much beyond that.

The Mark 4 M1 I had did not track nor return to a known zero. This was a known issue and talked about for years. The Mark 5 from what I understand addresses the issue of tracking. However, there are many options these days for turret turners.

On hunting scopes, I'll use a Leupold. For turning turrets, I won't consider them.

Back