• Help Support TNDeer:

Lews reel parts?

TRIGGER

I think I'm going to attempt to replace the anti reverse bearing in a couple of reels. First should I even attempt this? Second where should I get the parts? I have been trying to get ahold of lews with no luck even before the carona.

boca bearings. if you need schematics and some other hard to find parts, mikesreelrepair.com.

if its failed it will make a difference but may just need a good cleaning. as far as an upgrade, may not make a difference. a carbon drag washer replacement will though. the spool bearings usually make a differencefor casting distance on cheaper reels.

WTM":3sk165wg said:
boca bearings. if you need schematics and some other hard to find parts, mikesreelrepair.com.

if its failed it will make a difference but may just need a good cleaning. as far as an upgrade, may not make a difference. a carbon drag washer replacement will though. the spool bearings usually make a differencefor casting distance on cheaper reels.

I think there is an issue with the wrong oil being used. I made the mistake of having them cleaned and have had several issues with the reverse bearings since. I already had him "fix" a few but just don't want to mess with him anymore. Does this sound like it could be the wrong oil to you?

yep. some oils and greases will gum up. most reel oils are high quality synthetic spin oil basically and greases need to be synthetic as well. clean the bearings with acetone or naptha (lighter fluid) and re-oil or grease them, whichever you prefer or whatever lews recommends. dont overdo it a tiny bit goes a long way.

WTM":2ydaukge said:
yep. some oils and greases will gum up. most reel oils are high quality synthetic spin oil basically and greases need to be synthetic as well. clean the bearings with acetone or naptha (lighter fluid) and re-oil or grease them, whichever you prefer or whatever lews recommends. dont overdo it a tiny bit goes a long way.

Thank you I will try this.

Took one apart cleaned it with lighter fluid then oiled it and worked flawlessly all weekend. Thanks. Not sure how long it will last because I was impatient and just used some Remington gun oil on it. No harder than it is to get to it won't be any big deal to get the correct oil in it if it gives any trouble down the road. I was timid about working on it myself but it's no big deal to get to the anti reverse bearing. I don't do too good with a lot of small parts.

probably will last all summer. winter time is when non reel oil types will start to show problems, if you fish in winter, unless its 3 in 1 oil lol. that stuff gums up in no time. whenever you work on one, take a pic with your phone that way youll know how it goes back together.

fyi, anti reverse problems is usually the first sign that a reel needs to be cleaned even more so on a spinning reel.

Latest posts

Back