• Help Support TNDeer:

Life vest or seat for a kayak?

moondawg

I will be getting a kayak soon...just need to make up my mind which one I want to get.

I know all boats must have life preserver. Are we supposed to wear the life vest at all times when in the kayak? Or do we simply need to have it accessible and within reach? If that's the case, will a life preserver seat do? You know, the square one that doubles as a life preserver AND a seat?

The "seat" your talking about is a type 4 PFD (personal floatation device), and will not count as a wearable life jacket for your vessel. You are not required to wear the PFD on most waters, but it must be readily accessible and in good condition . Children Under the age of 13 must wear a PFD that is the correct size.
In my experience kayaks are like everything else..... every style has a place and you get what you pay for.
Good luck !!!

You don't have to wear except below dams. I wear a belt type with the pull cord and forget it's there sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. It's been a while since I've been on a boat. The times I've been on a boat, I never actually wore one, but had access to one. Never got stopped or questioned...come to think of it, never saw a warden/park ranger, either. Still better to have it in order to avoid a ticket.

If I'm on small, slow water like a pond or creek, I wear a belt type with the pull cord like Catman is referring to. If I'm on any kind of water with powered boats or swift water, I wear a solid life jacket made for kayaking. I used to always just wear the belt one. However, after I had a child I wised up a little and started wearing the other vest. There is a lot that could go wrong for a kayaker on bigger water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mae West, vest, or inflating type are allowed. The seats are throwable for rescue and recreation. Not approved, my buddy got a ticket for not having enough life jackets in his boat and wanted to use his seat cushion.

Latest posts

Back