• Help Support TNDeer:

light color and bugs

WTM

ive been doing some reading on light color and attracting bugs, even with led lights, for my boat and my new swimming pool area.

looks like the winning colors are amber and warm white. choices seem kind of limited for amber boat lights which there are a lot of options for blue, purple and green which attracts bugs. red would be the best color but would be hard to tell fishing jig colors.

cool video:
https://youtu.be/hWRgxiCFxgQ

info on light color and bugs:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.superb ... /1697/amp/

WTM":1if4hrjm said:
there are a lot of options for blue, purple and green which attracts bugs.

Man! Don't worry about bugs and practical applications! Worry about the cool factor. Blue, purple, and green look COOL! Seriously though, most of the folks rigging their boats don't give a flip about practical fishing applications. It's all about being cool. All the fishing boat forums I'm on include 3 main topics: how to run faster, where/how to mount speakers, and what kind of cool purple lights to use. I get maximizing your speed/efficiency in your motor set up, but I don't see a stereo system and cool lights getting you more bites. My boat came with a nice stereo/CD player in the passenger console that never gets turned on. My dad used to say "I don't know why people put stereos in their boats. Isn't the whole purpose of going fishing to get away from all the noise in life?" I tend to agree with him. Maybe I'm just getting old. [emoji848] I did try a white light on the water a couple weeks ago on a crappie fishing trip after it got dark. It attracted the heck out of the baitfish but all we caught were stinking catfish. I don't know how long it takes for the crappie to find it or how to do it effectively. We just dropped the light hoping for a miracle.

Sometimes I wish I'd got amber lights for my interior instead of white. But when bugs are bad I just turn them off. I notice they never touch the red light on the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm friends on facebook with a guy that bowfishes a LOT and I noticed in his pictures the bottom of his pontoon has green lights all the way around it and the top, where they stand is all red.
Wondered why.

RUGER":3piy0lto said:
I'm friends on facebook with a guy that bowfishes a LOT and I noticed in his pictures the bottom of his pontoon has green lights all the way around it and the top, where they stand is all red.
Wondered why.

probably green to attract bugs/fish, red so he can fish without bugs in his face.

keep in mind that green/red combo might interfere with or obscure with the nav lights.

Back