• Help Support TNDeer:

Logging and Deer Hunting Question,,,again

huntinman

I have been hunting a tract of land that is roughly 85 acres of woods that is mostly hills and hollers. Last year the 100 acre tract of land beside me sold and is now in process of being Clear Cut by a logging company. I don't even see any signs of tree tops where they have been logging. No one ever hunted that pc of property that I am aware of. I don't know what is going to happen to the property afterwards because it is pretty steep up and down hills in typical Hickman County, not the typical land that someone would build on. What should I expect this coming year in my deer woods? I usually take 1 good shooter buck each year, and maintain a very active salt lick that is the size of 2 kids swimming pools. Is my year shot already? What is everyone's opinions.

You will have a great season, hunt all you can. Deer will still use your property and if you are directly against this logged property, you land could become a funnel, as deer travel the edges, skirting around this new open area.

In the coming years, your deer hunting will become increasing better.

You should consider sending a Thank-You Basket to the land owner who logged their property.

I have almost the same scenario on my property. I am bordered on three sides by a 600 acre clearcut that was replanted in pines several years ago. The clearcut has minimal hunting pressure and is a sanctuary for all the deer. I have the only hardwoods with mast producing trees for a couple of miles. In a good mast year I draw deer for miles.
You may have to change the way you hunt but your hunting should improve.

Exact same thing happened to me last year but on a slightly smaller scale. had I wanted to, it would have been year best year ever on that property.

ROUGH COUNTRY HUNTER said:
it may be a little tough this year,but the rewards are to come,see if you can purchase that property at a good price

x2. they will sell it cheap when they are done. i hate to see properties logged, but it usually improves hunting in years to follow

Thanks for the info guys. Should I start hunting the inside edges of my woods? Right now I have been hunting more center of the property I hunt. I do know where there will be a good funnel to develop once they ae finished logging. On the back side of my property is a holler that drops off to some adjoining property (not part of the logging property that i am aware of). I have always seen scrapes in that general area. Looks like I will need to hang a stand in that corner or close by. I am actually looking forward to the season now, just to see what it will be like. I believe the owners of the logging property have already sold the property, but kept the logging rights before selling. At least that is what I heard.

You can expect deer to avoid the open clear-cut for at least the first season after logging. Although that opening will produce corners and edges that will funnel deer into more concentrated/predictable movement patterns as deer walk around the edges to avoid walking through the large bare-dirt opening.

In the future, once that clear-cut has one to two summers of growth, consider the cut one big natural food plot. Deer will flock to the natural food sources produced once the tree canopy has been removed. Once the cut has about 4 summers of growth, expect it to be one giant bedding area and possible sanctuary, and hunt the edges appropriately.

There was some property that we hunt that was logged about 10 years ago. It broke my heart to see it happen back then, it was big mature hardwoods. But now, that land is THICK and it is amazing the number of bucks that use it as a bedding area and some really good bucks too. That area wasn't clear cut though, but I'm sure the results will be similar for you in a couple years.

Back