• Help Support TNDeer:

long range gun

nontypical177

I'm looking for a long range gun, not talking about 7-800 yards shots, just need to shoot up to 400. This gun will be used to shoot 2-400 yards only, have some big beanfields. What do you think the best caliber you think for long range shots? Any suggestions on a long range rifle? I will put some money in a gun but can't afford $3000-4000 custom gun. If you know of someone who has one to get rid of let me know. I would love to hear input on long range shooting and guns. What kind of bags or rest do you guys use for bench shooting? I'm looking at doing a good bit of shooting in the offseason this year.

Heck we used to have to qualify once a year with iron sights at 500 meters with an M-16 in the Marines. 400 yds with a scope on any modern deer rifle should be no problem. .25-06 is a nice fairly flat shooter out to that range but there are plenty of others that will do it too.

I own 3 25/06. They are very flat shooting and the recoil is not bad at all. There are many outdoor writers that claim the 25/06 is the perfect antalope cartridge becaue of its flat trajectory and long range capabilities. So that is my choice. You can find that caliber in several actions and brands that won't cost you an arm and a leg. Box of shells will run you 25-35 dollars unless you reload. I shoot 120gr Ballistic Tips and have never lost an animal with it.

Sniper, what you recommend? I'm open to any caliber. What do you guys use to shoot off a bench, as far as sandbags, leadsled, or such for a rest?

I would go with a 7mm Rem mag or a 300 win mag. for shots out to 500 yards +. I'd also go with a scope with a ballistic reticle similar to the Zeiss rapid Z line of reticles. Also a range finder would also would be handy on anything past 400 yards. Main thing is to practice at the distances you plan on shooting at, alot.

Many modern cartridges loaded to modern pressures will be capable of this range. Most of them with a 200 yard zero will be around 20" low at 400. This even includes some of the magnums. Bullet weight will influence drop in each caliber. But most will be only a couple inches above or below this 20" mark.This includes 260,7mm-08,25-06,308,30-06,270,280 and the like.Each will have a bullet weight that will shoot flatter than the others in that particular cartridge. I would probably pick a 7mm-08 based on your criteria. Or if I thought I needed more I would go to 7mm Mag. That being said, any of the calibers suggested by the other posts are capable 400 yd deer guns.You will have to decide how heavy of a gun that you want, and how much recoil you can tolerate.

You can pick a 700 SPS Tac in .308 for reasonably cheap. If your not reloading there are many factory loadings. Hornady makes match ammo with a 168 AMAX great comp round and does well on deer. As for scope its up to you but I would look for a 4 to 12 power and it really depends on your budget but you get what you pay for. Burris XTR rings are great I use them on top of a Warne picatinny rail. I use Protecktor bags off a bench or my bipod with a rear bag when shooting prone...mostly what I do.

bjohnson said:
You can pick a 700 SPS Tac in .308 for reasonably cheap. If your not reloading there are many factory loadings. Hornady makes match ammo with a 168 AMAX great comp round and does well on deer. As for scope its up to you but I would look for a 4 to 12 power and it really depends on your budget but you get what you pay for. Burris XTR rings are great I use them on top of a Warne picatinny rail. I use Protecktor bags off a bench or my bipod with a rear bag when shooting prone...mostly what I do.
for the critera this is an excellent recommendation. you can drop it into a nicer stock like a bell & carlson medalist and still be under $2000 for a very nice complete set up.

280 or 30-06 in any configuration will be more than adequate at those ranges.

Personally, I'd get a older rem 700... should be able to find one for $400-$450 in excellent condition. With handloads and a good crown, you should be able to consistently keep it under 1MOA, even out to 400

400 yards is a chip shot provided you know your dope and your gun. Practicing will buy you more than the decision making process b/t calibers.

Get a solid factory rig, have the trigger tuned, stock bedded and you are off to the races.

Lastly, a good ballistic reticle and a range finder will do its magic at 400 yards. If shooting further, it's time to turn turrets.

go to www.sinclairintl.com and you can find a rest and bags like this,,they are very good,

P10112152.jpg

Dr. Dickel said:
If you are going to be shooting over fields and weight is not an issue on a carry rifle, it is hard to beat a 700 Sendero. Shoot great right out of the box and have good triggers. If I planned on shooting 400 yards commonly, I would lean to a magnum caliber.

X2 on the rem 700 sendero 264 win mag or 7mm rem mag Leupold vx III 4.5x14x50 lr 30mm target knobs. This set up can be had for around $2,000

Latest posts

Back