• Help Support TNDeer:

Lower caney bye Sparta

Smithcotrapper

Hey I had a question or two about the lower end of the caney fork by Sparta. I'm going to FFA camp june 1-5 and was curious what I should be trying to catch down that way? Any kinda lures I should use? I was thinking maybe some kinda rainbow trout swimbait but didn't know?

I might be confused ( shocker! ) :-D But I think that part of the caney by Sparta is the feeder to Center Hill Lake. Its more like fishing a lake than a river. I fish the caney above and below great falls dam and suck at it.
If I catch one keeper a trip Im doing well. Bass/crappie/bluegill. By June the bass should be more predictable.
My theory is this, Water levels and dam releases have a LOT of influence on fishing these areas. Get a cold rain, and it can turn the fishing off. THey stop pulling any water, and it can shut the fishing off. They start cranking the dam, and water temps below the dam plummet moving the fish. I really don't have a handle on fishing those areas so Im thinking of concentrating on fishing the main lake (center hill) where it would be a little more stable and patterns wouldn't shift at the drop of a hat.

Probably wasn't much help, but who knows.

I would focus on bass. It isn't hard to catch a limit on that end of the river. I have fished it for years and have never caught a trout. There are some big musky in there also. Good Luck. Texas rig lizard and brown jig can usually catch a few.

Smithcotrapper":2p73bqi7 said:
Ok thanks. Any kind of lures for musky? Big lures? Swimbaits,musky specific lures?
Big lures, yup. Heavy gear with a steel leader as well. They will bite smaller stuff but they can destroy it- teeth and a sharp gill plate will often cut your line. Keep us posted :tu:

Latest posts

Back