• Help Support TNDeer:

Lure box hack

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have been looking for "something" to keep my flukes, whacky worms and other assorted soft baits in.
I have a tackle bag that I use now but no matter what I do I can't keep it organized and can never find what I want when I want it.
Tackle boxes or bags are expensive and either way too small or way too big, and expensive.

I broke down and went to walfarts yesterday and just walked around.
I took the measurements before I left and I wanted a box that was 7" wide and 4 or 5 inches tall, 4 being better due to being smaller.
The cheapest thing I have found online is like 20 bucks and up and still wasn't perfect.
I found a sterilite clear box with a white lid that locks in place pretty good that was 7"X4"X like 14".
Absolutely perfect.
97 cents LOL
I did buy two smaller boxes that will be perfect to keep my hooks in as well. They were like 1"X2"X4" and they were $1.47 :rotf:

Now that I see how it's gonna work I will have one for flukes & whacky worms, each style of hook and my rubber orings and tool I use all in one nice neat box that I can store easily in the compartment under the front deck.
I will probably do another box just like it for my 2 or 3 most used other soft baits. It will have the lures, box of hooks, box of weights and a pill bottle full of toothpicks for when I want to peg the weight.

All in a space not much bigger than it takes for a battery.

Best part is I will have less than 7 bucks tied up in it all.

I know for fancy fisherman this might sound stupid but I was rather proud. :D

Oh and my line stripper is the cat's meow!
Pulled the line off a baitcaster in like less than a minute!
Best 12 bucks I ever spent. :D

Can you tell I am ready to fish?

Here is the stock photo if anyone is interested. LOL

I've struggled with the same thing. I have way too many plastic lures, and I can't come up with a good way to store them. Looks like those boxes would work well as long as that lid continues to snap back on securely.

I wound up going a larger ziplock type bag this year, and putting the plastics in them (still in their original bags). It still isn't easy to go through and find exactly what I want, but it's the best way I've found to store a lot of them. I have separate bags for lizards, regular worms, creature/trailers, flukes, drop shot & finesse worms, and swim baits.

TNReb":1qywyk1c said:
Looks like those boxes would work well as long as that lid continues to snap back on securely.

Since they will be under the deck unless I am using them I ain't TOO worried about it.
If I had a boat that ran fast enough to worry about leaving them out when moving I am thinking some of those smaller bungee cords would hold them on pretty good.

That's my plan anyway. :D
I'm sure they make the same size box with better locking devices but I am a tight wad. :D

You should have looked in my front livewell back when we were after crappie . I have two or three boxes for plastics fixed like that. Just make sure they stay separated in their own bags. Some of that stuff sure does like to melt when it gets together.

Keep the steriite stuff out of direct sunlight. They will get brittle and crack and the exposed edges are sharp, this i know for sure.

We use them to keep stuff in the pantry and they last for as long as you dont abuse them. In the reload room the sunlight ruint a stack of 4 of them PDQ.

Are you sure your plastics won't melt them?

I am going to have to do something with my old hip roof box and replacement prices as you noted are staggering.

They shouldn't melt them as they will remain in their original packs while in the box.

Tackle boxes and stupid expensive.
The last couple of soft boxes I have bought were the "fishoflage" you get from walmart.
Plano and their parent company, can't remember the name, have just about gained a monopoly in the business.
They can charge whatever they want to because the vast amount of people are too proud to buy stuff like "fishoflage" and sterilite. :D

those tiny fly boxes are outrageous too. i used some small plano boxes with those sheet refrigerator magnets glued in the box. got the sheet magnets for free from a convenience store. those that usually have football schedules and ads on them that they give out for free.

WTM":3sqrieze said:
those tiny fly boxes are outrageous too. i used some small plano boxes with those sheet refrigerator magnets glued in the box. got the sheet magnets for free from a convenience store. those that usually have football schedules and ads on them that they give out for free.

I use the Plano boxes with the gasket and glue 1/4" sheet foam from hobby lobby in it. $80 box for $12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back