• Help Support TNDeer:

Mechanicals vs Conventional

thejetman

Just wanted to take a poll on what side of the fence your on.
Personally, I have, and always will, shoot Muzzy 3 blade conventionals.

I'd speculate that if 1,000 deer hunters released 1,000 arrows tipped with mechanicals, and another 1,000 deer hunters released 1,000 arrows tipped with fixed . . . . . . .
There would be little difference in how many deer ended up dead.

Mechanicals and fixed both have different pros & cons, but at the end of the day, I don't see either as being overall better than the other when it comes to deer-killing ability. While in theory the mechanical is better because of it's larger cutting area, in reality mechanicals are more prone to malfunction, as well as blade breakage on impact with bone. I vividly remember one perfect morning nocking my arrow, only to see a screw had rattled loose on two of the three blades of my mechanical head --- there I sat hunting with a 1-blade broadhead. Glad nothing came along before noticing the problem, but the next arrow out of the quiver was also missing a blade. That's when I lost confidence in mechanicals, although have since experimented some more.

If they group close to same, I may do like Radar by carrying both in my quiver this Fall. Otherwise, without a doubt, the fixed blades are a better value, since they're more durable and usually cost less.

I have done well shooting an open can of worms. Just have to make sure the open end is pointing out.

Seriously, the answer to your question is, yes, I do.

I have enough trouble with all the factors that are out of my control to knowingly add another, so fixed heads get the nod from me!

I'm usually a tech/gadget guy.. so mechanical seem like the kind of thing I'd love...

.... but I simply don't have confidence in them. For my taste, there are too many things that can go wrong. No to mention, they're expensive. I'm confident a well placed mechanical will do it's job. I just don't want to fool with having to make sure I don't lose little rubberbands and everything else.

I'm not bad-mouthing mechanicals.. I'm just saying they aren't for me. Something about the thought of the tip of a Muzzy just does it for me. :)

Wes Parrish said:
I'd speculate that if 1,000 deer hunters released 1,000 arrows tipped with mechanicals, and another 1,000 deer hunters released 1,000 arrows tipped with fixed . . . . . . .
There would be little difference in how many deer ended up dead.

Assuming everyone is as detailed as many of us and their bows are tuned to shoot fixed heads. I have both in my quiver and as many do, it shoots both just fine. I know way to many folks that shoot mechanicals because it's a quick fix to not having a tuned bow. They blame the fixed head.

I shoot Rage heads because I know first hand what those things are capable of doing but they are not fool proof either. I also shoot Magnus Stingers and Muzzy Phantoms. They all hit the same at 40 yards. Again, I know way to many ppl that can't hit a 4x8 target with fixed heads and blame it on the heads.

Latest posts

Back