• Help Support TNDeer:

Medical kit

Omega

I had not seen this posted so I figured a reminder to be cautious and have a medical plan thought out. I keep a trauma kit in my hunting pack, well I have a few everywhere, that includes tourniquet, chest seal, airway tubes etc. If you get injured out there, the medics may not get to you on time, so it's best to be able to do self or buddy aid until help arrives. Stay Safe out there

I'm an old ER Nurse, so I'm more paranoid about injuries than most.
I have put together several trauma/med kits & keep one with me 24/7.
Tourniquet, bandage/dressing supplies. quick-clot dressings, pressure dressings, ace wraps, and super glue.
Yep, super glue.
Works like a charm on cuts. I've used it on myself for decades.
Cut my thumb thru the nail on a broadhead once while out in the middle of nowhere. Cleaned the wound, super glued it, hunted the rest of the weekend.

Have you got one that you'd recommend?

How about one for the truck, and one that ms more portable to carry with you?

Thanks, I'm pretty unfamiliar with said kits.

Having a tourniquet you practice with helps. Getting hands on with everything will make you even better than just having a kit.

The essentials he rattled off would be an excellent start, if you wanted to build one.

I need to start carrying one with me, but shaving down extra weight from non essentials seem to be the norm these days.

I have a survival/medical kit in both boats and both vehicles, but I rarely carry them with, this is a good reminder of how I can improve my safety.

Along with the chest seals, an emergency blanket, duct tape and hemostats would be a few others I'd add to a kit if wright wasn't an issue.

Yep, super glue.
Works like a charm on cuts. I've used it on myself for decades.

I've super glued myself back together so many times that my wife & kids joke that I must have it running through my veins. Incredible stuff. I've found the sooner you can get a cut glued, the better it heals. Even a very bad cut if closed & glued immediately can heal up way faster than I'd ever have thought possible.

I have, and recommend the brands the military uses. I recommend everyone take some type of training to use these products, it is best with hands-on. But YouTube does provide some familiarization with some of these that will do in a pinch because emergencies don't wait until you are trained.

C.A.T tourniquet - A must have to stop bleeding in the extremities
QuikClot Gauze or Celox Gauze - Expensive but works great if you can't to medical aid for an extended period, great to pack a wound, or just apply as a pressure bandage to help clot the wound and stop the bleeding.
Israeli/Pressure Bandage - Some type of bandage, even menstrual pads can be used, to use as a pressure bandage. This just applies extra pressure that a normal bandage does not.
Medical Scissors - Can use knife but these cut through clothing easier and safer
Medical Tape - To secure bandages/gauze
Sharpie - To mark time is tourniquet applied, and when QuikClot or XStat applied

Only if you know what you are doing
Chest Seal - Usually comes in pairs to seal entry and exit when a lung is punctured. used correctly it can prevent a collapsed lung.
Pneumothorax Needle - Used to get air out from between the lungs and chest cavity
Airway Tube - Keeps the airway open if patient is unconscious and is in danger of swallowing tongue (seizures) or is heavy weight
NASOPHARYNGEAL Airway - Gives a secondary airway if there is mouth trauma
XStat or Celox Syringe - Used to fill wound cavity in larger wounds, the QuickClot or Celox bandage can be used the same way but this is easier and faster

I sometimes run into Quikclot or Celox bandages that have lost their vacuum, so I open those and cut them into 1x1 and 2x2 squares to use on those smaller cuts that just won't stop bleeding, these get more use than anything. Of course Band-Aids, superglue iodine pads or a small bottle, or if you want to feel nostalgic, some mercurochrome to clean off the smaller wounds before applying a bandage come in real handy but should all be in a standard first aid kit.

Latest posts

Back