• Help Support TNDeer:

middle fork obion lake five

JimFromTN

Does anyone know anything about this lake? It looks like its a public lake built by taxpayers but I read where there was a dispute because the land surrounding it is private and the land owners were denying access. This was a few years ago but I have not heard anything recently. Why would the state build a public lake and not own the land around the lake and provide access?

I use to fish it probably 10 years ago or so.We use to put in at a guy's house,he had a ramp there.We would always catch at least a 7 pound bass on every trip sometimes a 10.Last time there wasn't very fun,yelling match lol.

I checked some places on line and there is very little info. I did find one site that said there was public access. I have no idea.

I did a quick search back through the properties surrounding the lake and its all been in private ownership for as far back as I can go online (some since 1946). Does anyone know for certain that taxpayer money was used for creation of the lake? When was it built and by who?

Soil Conservation Service (federal) used to build watershed lakes to act as sediment basins when most agriculture was conventional tillage on foolishly steep ground. They were generally built on private land, and the landowners retained the rights to them unless they decided to sell the land under the lake to the state. This may not have been the case with this one, but I suspect it is.

Latest posts

Back