• Help Support TNDeer:

Minn Kota Ulterra operation

7mm08

Fishing two weeks ago with BIG tides I had some rack ( dried spartina grass ) get in my motor and keep it from stowing. End of the day anyway so drove back 3 miles with it at full up.

Long story…. Covers come off without problems and dried crap came out with the help of a dental pick as the spacing is tight and those sensors are delicate.

Works as should now. T9 and silicone grease all around. Dirt dobber nest removed too!!
IMG_7151.webp

Last edited:
Marine grease on the shear pin? Or are talking about someplace else. I'm not very knowledgeable about boat repairs or up keep, so trying to learn something that seems I should know.
So... when you use a trolling motor in saltwater, the shear pin eventually corrodes and glues itself to the hole in the shaft. Plus the shear pin weakens from corrosion where it goes through the shaft, causing it to fail. I've had to literally drill out the shear pins because a punch wouldn't work on 2 used saltwater trolling motors I've acquired.

I don't recall having this problem in freshwater. I have no idea if the marine grease on the pin will reduce corrosion, but that's what I started doing a year ago when I got my new motor. I pull the prop every 6m or so, slip out the shear pin, and regrease it before reinstalling. Seems to be preventing corrosion so far. I carry some spare shear pins in my essentials box on the boat, but if one seizes in the shaft before it breaks, having a spare will do no good.

Latest posts

Back