• Help Support TNDeer:

Missed a TARP by 1/4”

WTM":2k9judtk said:
rock bass and warmouth are two different animals....i think.

Yes, 2 different critters that look fairly similar but live in different areas. Rock bass aka red eye aka black perch aka goggle eye (a nickname they share with warmouth) generally live in gravel bottomed creeks. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone besides a biologist refer to them as rock bass. Warmouth are much more of a still water fish.

MickThompson":2l1s741i said:
WTM":2l1s741i said:
rock bass and warmouth are two different animals....i think.

Yes, 2 different critters that look fairly similar but live in different areas. Rock bass aka red eye aka black perch aka goggle eye (a nickname they share with warmouth) generally live in gravel bottomed creeks. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone besides a biologist refer to them as rock bass. Warmouth are much more of a still water fish.

So is it a black bass?
I have always heard them called warmouth but I was thinking black bass was the correct name.

MickThompson":1oxp1b0s said:
RUGER":1oxp1b0s said:
Your right
Lots of slang but that's a black bass

The official common name for what you caught is warmouth. "Black bass" can also be used to refer collectively to the "Micropterus" bass species- largemouth, smallmouth, spots, etc.

So I really didn't miss a tarp at all because there ain't one for it.
Lol

MickThompson":1z3uaekc said:
RUGER":1z3uaekc said:
Your right

The official common name for what you caught is warmouth. "Black bass" can also be used to refer collectively to the "Micropterus" bass species- largemouth, smallmouth, spots, etc.

lol, to confuse you more micopterus is the genus, the you have different species for each of those, ie salmoides, dolomieu, etc. BUT, they are in the centrachidae family or "sunfish". so largemouth, smallmouth are great big sunfish, lol.

black bass are not temperate or a "true" bass.

WTM":1pp4y6e1 said:
MickThompson":1pp4y6e1 said:
RUGER":1pp4y6e1 said:
Your right

lol, to confuse you more micopterus is the genus, the you have different species for each of those, ie salmoides, dolomieu, etc. BUT, they are in the centrachidae family or "sunfish". so largemouth, smallmouth are great big sunfish, lol.

black bass are not temperate or a "true" bass.

Warmouth taste a lot better than largemouth that's for sure.
The one pictured above was released though.
Couldn't bring my self to kill it.

Latest posts

Back