• Help Support TNDeer:

Morning, can't slip in...

Boll Weevil

...and evening, can't sneak out. Got any stands where deer are likely to be in an area early that keeps you from getting into or out of a stand completely undetected?

How do you handle it?

I definitely have stands like that in the mornings, I just use them for evening stands but I really don't have that problem in the evenings

Never found a spot that i can always get into undetected, sometimes its better to go in just after daylight and stalk to your stand. Wind seems to always be the biggest obstacle if you dont have alot of options.

Never had a stand I couold get undeteced. But then, I also never worry about being detected. I just try to get in before the deer I am hunting can detect me. The rest of the deer don't bother me.

bowriter said:
Never had a stand I couold get undeteced. But then, I also never worry about being detected. I just try to get in before the deer I am hunting can detect me. The rest of the deer don't bother me.

Ifen you had some of them rubbers to wear you could slip in undetected. Problem being finding any good fitting Converses.

I tell u what works for me. Take your gas blower or rake and clear a path out in the woods about 6 feet wide to your stand. You can sneak in easily. It will stay ppretty clear till the leaves start falling. The turkeys will thank u too.

I have hunted places with only one access road. if you hunted on the south side, as I did, you always went in during winter with the wind predominantly at your back. I'm sure that had some effect on success but what are you going to do?

But then again, anyone that thinks he or she is sneaking in without being detected may need to think again. Just because a deer does not blow or run does not mean they don't know you are there. it's not that you are detected, but more about what effect it is having on deer movement. Deer interact with man every day, in most cases. I have learned that getting to your stand quickly and in a less threatening way like stalking or trying to tip in slowly may indeed be to your benefit.

Go ahead and get in and get settled.

But this is the exact reason why I don't like to hunt food sources in the morning. And even in the afternoons, some deer will show up late, so I prefer to get somewhere well off the food and sneak in to it....setting up on places deer will come through in their daily travels....

double browtine said:
I tell u what works for me. Take your gas blower or rake and clear a path out in the woods about 6 feet wide to your stand. You can sneak in easily. It will stay ppretty clear till the leaves start falling. The turkeys will thank u too.

I have used a rake to do the same thing. It works very well. :cool:

Because we have alot of ag fields, morning hunts for us can be challenging. We've positioned several stands that are off the fields but along creeks/drains/ditches that facilitate getting in and out a little more stealthy. Just walk down in the ditch/creek and pop right up at the base of the stand and ease into it.

Rather than bush hog all the edges I've also intentionally left "screens" of bamboo and tall weeds in some places and even thought of planting something like switchgrass to hide an approach. For others sets we have to take the long way around and oftentimes will wait until it's just barely light enough to see before easing in.

Getting pinned down in the evening as it gets dark is the worst...just gotta sit there till they wander off.

Entry/exit routes to and from stands can be a huge factor with some sets, a very overlooked element many times.

If you know you CAN'T get in in the morning without really disturbing the area.. Then I'd get a couple afternoons in before hunting a morning. Unless your down to spend the night in the tree...

Latest posts

Back