• Help Support TNDeer:

Mountain Birds

Hook1

How do ya hunt them???,,,I've been huntin farmland birds, but I'm going next week over in the mountains around Carters Mountain,,,any suggestions???

They will move with terrain about like deer do. Biggest thing is knowing the land like the back of your hand, then you know whats between you and him, that only comes with hunting the same place fro years.I like to get on the same level as the bird, hopefully have a bench or a old skid road running out to him and like to get within 150 yards at least. Speak softly, scratch around. Them birds will hang around and strut on benches, log landings, skid roads, etc. Thats all I had ever hunted until I hunted Jackson County along the lake once, killed a bird within an hour and thought that farmland huntin was the easiest thing ever lol

Send me a PM, I just finished an article about hunting birds in mountainous terrain. I will send you a copy, it might help, or it might not.

Get in shape. Mountain hunting is the most demanding hunting you can do. I hunt in east tn and by seasons end, I can climb mountains with ease.

Don't use hen calls until you are above or level to the birds. Also, turkeys love to poke there head up over ridges before they come up. If you aren't hidden well you will get picked off fast.

Be careful about a gobblers location when he gobbles. The mountains and valleys can deceive you.

Most importantly- get a good pair of snake boots!
Don't walk on top of ridges. This is also a good way to get picked off.

Find the logging roads and you will find turkey sign.

If you're new to an area like that, it's best, imo, to start out on top walking the bluff lines and listening for birds to talk in those big coves. Usually I don't take off after one until he's gobbled several times. Then the adventure begins. You gotta be willing to walk your hind end off, even if he's across the cove on the other side of the mountain.

Not exactly sure on what part of Carters,,,going with a bud of mine, who has property there,,,lots of good info,,,the main thing I see that sticks out is get up high and listen, but be prepared for lots of walking and their tough birds to hunt,,,good woodsmanship should come in handy,,,thanks to all that replied,,,as I'm typing the trip may have been cancled :(

go to a ridge, call hoot crow, don't hear anything go to the next. Do this until you hear a gobble.

Then get on his level before you get serious with him.

IF you can't get on his level, then get above him. 75% of the time you CAN NOT call a bird down to you, but 75% of the time you can call him up to you.

Birds will go up the mountian to roost at night, but fly down the mountain in the morning. So all day they work there way UP the mountain. This is why calling him up works most of the time. He hadn't been there yet and willing to go and see what is up there.

if he don't come easy, leave for about 1 to 2 hours, come back and try him again. If he thinks your left and then you came back to him, he will most of the time leave his "STRUT" zone (a bench or a point on a ridge) and come on in.

Catoosa is the worst place to try mountain birds. It is full of turkeys to many hens and to many people. NOt a good place to start.

Try Royle Blue for TRUE mountain birds.

me and my buddy hunton the mountains we usally listen or hit an owl call and usally they gobble to that i me and him have gone twice and i have killed one like that and got on another one but some bidy else shot that bird when we got about 150 yards away from him

me and my buddy hunton the mountains we usally listen or hit an owl call and usally they gobble to that i me and him have gone twice and i have killed one like that and got on another one but some bidy else shot that bird when we got about 150 yards away from him

Latest posts

Back