• Help Support TNDeer:

MSU Deer Lab Buck summer vs fall range

lafn96

From their FB post. If you're not following them or listening to their podcast, you should if you're interested in this kind of stuff.

Bucks seen in bachelor groups on your hunting property during summer are often not seen come hunting season, so we've been working on an analysis to determine how adult buck activity centers shift from summer to fall. The average distance between activity centers for all bucks in our study is about 0.75 miles (1,300 yards). Given that 33% of our bucks have a mobile personality and use 2 separate, non-overlapping home ranges often several miles apart, this distance should not be too surprising.

Buck 20, shown on this map, was 3.5 years old when these GPS points were collected. The white lines represent his August movements and red lines represent his October movements in the same year. He has a mobile personality, so the separation between his activity centers is much greater (about 1.5 miles) than our average buck. Despite this distance, you can see he still frequently travels back and forth to his summer activity center throughout the month of October. What's the furthest you've noticed a buck's activity center shift from summer to fall?

1000001852.webp

I love these GPS studies. Something that stands out to me isn't how far he moves but rather how focused/confined his movements are the majority of the time. Although he takes some long walks his core fall range where he's at more than any other time easily fits into an 1/8 mile by 1/4 mile strip. That makes him very huntable.

lafn96, I am right there with you, all of their podcasts/youtube videos are loaded with good info!
Shot a 9pt w/ bow in 2021 that was, as a crow flies, ~1mi from the closest trail cam pic I had of him that year. that's not a really long way but farthest deer from where i felt like the summer/early fall range was solely based on trail cams. some of the deer in their studies definitely fit the bill of what dr. demarais refers to as "excursion deer". the craziest one to me was that one that spent the summer in AR and then swam the MS river into MS for the fall/winter...think they tabulated the linear distance at 12-13 mi?

lafn96, I am right there with you, all of their podcasts/youtube videos are loaded with good info!
Shot a 9pt w/ bow in 2021 that was, as a crow flies, ~1mi from the closest trail cam pic I had of him that year. that's not a really long way but farthest deer from where i felt like the summer/early fall range was solely based on trail cams. some of the deer in their studies definitely fit the bill of what dr. demarais refers to as "excursion deer". the craziest one to me was that one that spent the summer in AR and then swam the MS river into MS for the fall/winter...think they tabulated the linear distance at 12-13 mi?
I dont remember the distance but they said he did it multiple times per year

I think that study you posted is from the Big Black River in central MS. The one I was thinking of is from another study along the MS river but nonetheless some bucks travel a good ways

Reminds me of one of my favorite stories from the PSU deer lab. The place where this buck went to die is just plain creepy. Also interesting to note how movement seems to be a little different in a mountainous setting vs. an agricultural setting.

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing!

MSU deer lab has some great studies and podcast. I try to listen to most of their stuff.
If I remember correctly, Dr. Strickland mentioned in one podcast earlier this year, they are doing some research in South central or southwest TN. Interesting to learn about what their study is on and the findings of said study

Reminds me of one of my favorite stories from the PSU deer lab. The place where this buck went to die is just plain creepy. Also interesting to note how movement seems to be a little different in a mountainous setting vs. an agricultural setting.

That was very interesting and weird that he went back. Could that be the area where he was born?

The white line really makes me think about a couple deer I've only gotten on camera once or twice in the summer and never seen them again.

Maybe they are still alive?

This also makes me wonder how abnormal a particular deer is that I see in my neighborhood. He's at least 7 years old, probably 8 and he is nearly always within 150 yds of my back door. He disappears for a few days each November but otherwise he's almost always around.

I think that study you posted is from the Big Black River in central MS. The one I was thinking of is from another study along the MS river but nonetheless some bucks travel a good ways
We're referring to the same one - that buck you mentioned crossed the Mississippi river several times.

Edit - found an article about it

Back