• Help Support TNDeer:

Must haves for kayak fishing

Most yak storage is designed to hold the 3600 size of tackle boxes, and you can usually get 4 or so of them in a milk crate. Zip tie some PVC on the sides of it for rod holders. If you keep your crate closer to the back of your seat and rods straight up, you're less likely to smack your rod tips when you are side casting, just be aware of your surroundings (behind you) when casting. Use a bungee cord zip tied on one end across the top to hold everything in. Same with the rods, use small elastic shock cord and attach it to the rod holders to loop over your reels to keep them secure. A small dry bag to keep cell phone (if you don't have a water proof case and tether), flash light and small first aid kit. Yes, anchor is key to river fishing. I like using a small piece of heavy chain with a bicycle tube slid over it to keep it from clanking around. Chain also doesn't get hung up in rocks as easy as a traditional anchor does. And a cheap retractable dog leash ($6.99 at Harbor Freight) makes a great anchor rope that is easily managed.

Definitely agree with the anchor. Not only is even the slightest breeze a pain, but any current or waves will make you constantly be correcting the positioning. And one you might not realize, if you are throwing baits with resistance to them like a crankbait, spinnerbait, etc...it will pull the kayak towards it as you retrieve. So if you are trying to fish, say a laydown with a spinnerbait...it will be pulling you towards the lay down and before you know it, you'll be on top of where you're trying to fish. It's a fight even with a pedal drive. An anchor or even a makeshift powerpole (if in shallow enough water) will help. Some people will keep a long pole and stick it down through a scupper hole and drive it into the bottom to hold them in place while they cast to various targets in an area. Otherwise, an anchor is a must. You don't need a heavy one. One of those 3 lb ones does just fine.

One thing no one has mentioned is a pull rope. I have a length of paracord tied to the front grab loop and lay it in front of the seat. I took a piece of rubber hose and made a handle loop. This makes the transition from sitting to standing MUCH easier. And if you river fish like I do, it's handy to walk the yak down shoals that are to shallow to paddle through.

For me, the simpler (and sometimes fewer), the better.

I take a small tackle bag with various lures I think I might use. I could probably stand to eliminate some of that, as I tend to use the same ones over and over. I usually bring two rods, but mostly end up just using one. In my crate, I also have bug spray and sunblock. This goes without saying, but a lifevest is a must. I have the NRS Chinook in orange. I also carry a water bottle with me in the kayak.

Back