• Help Support TNDeer:

Myth??

SelphLogging

Just curious if the saying and strategy "Hang stands or check cameras when rain is coming" is really just a myth or there is help by it?? Cause i have my doubts with it...

I don't think it's a myth. Of course it is highly dependant on how much rain. A light drizzle probably won't do much.

One thing is for sure, it isn't going to make it any worse.

It's simply a tactic that many of us use. Belief is (including mine) that the rain will wash away most of the scent you leave in an area. However, I prefer to check camera's after a rain due to being able to get in and out of an area silently.

That is for sure the belief and certainly a tactic used by so many hunters. But i just wonder why rain isn't classified as a scent enhancer?? I'll explain, when something smelly or dirty gets wet, it doesnt wash the smell away, it actually makes the smell worse or "louder". Examples: my work hat, mildewed shirts (from the wifey not getting them in the drier fast enough ;)), boots, a dog, etc... And if we as humans can smell them better, then deer definately smell them better.

Also, what do deer do as they are searching for does, or trying to wind something? Thats right, lick their noses, to get it wet so that it enhances the smell of the air, or to attract the smell to his nose better. Primarily because moisture helps him!!!

So there in lies my question of is it really helpful or not... Just my curiousity

SelphLogging said:
That is for sure the belief and certainly a tactic used by so many hunters. But i just wonder why rain isn't classified as a scent enhancer?? I'll explain, when something smelly or dirty gets wet, it doesnt wash the smell away, it actually makes the smell worse or "louder". Examples: my work hat, mildewed shirts (from the wifey not getting them in the drier fast enough ;)), boots, a dog, etc... And if we as humans can smell them better, then deer definately smell them better.

Also, what do deer do as they are searching for does, or trying to wind something? Thats right, lick their noses, to get it wet so that it enhances the smell of the air, or to attract the smell to his nose better. Primarily because moisture helps him!!!

So there in lies my question of is it really helpful or not... Just my curiousity

I question this too
I have noticed that cigarette smoke carries a lot more in damp air.

Damp leaves hold scent much more than dry leaves, however I do think heavy rain will suppress what scent is already on the ground.. Reason is most ppl w tracking dogs want to go before an approaching rain comes because it gives the dogs trouble... But I have definately heard wet leaves retain scent...

Among some of us, rain is considered a scent enhancer. The trick is to do your wandering around before it rains, then a heavy downpour will wash the scent away...so they say.

Of course, "they say" is the biggest liar around.

If man could really see what he looks like walking around leaving skin cells all over the place, he might give up on the whole scent free idea and play the wind more.....

ever seen the Peanuts character, Pigpen??

lol

A heavy downpour will definitely help wash your scent away, but moisture/humidity simply enhances the deers ability to smell you for multiple reasons.

Winchester said:
A heavy downpour will definitely help wash your scent away, but moisture/humidity simply enhances the deers ability to smell you for multiple reasons.
x2. Anyone that has ever hunted with dogs (rabbits, coons, etc) should be able to validate this to some degree.

Andy S. said:
Winchester said:
x2. Anyone that has ever hunted with dogs (rabbits, coons, etc) should be able to validate this to some degree.
Yep I used to rabbit hunt all the time. You could forget about it if It came a hard rain before daylight. Also noticed that when the ground is frozen the dogs have a hard time picking up scent.

Latest posts

Back