• Help Support TNDeer:

Need a gaff

If your wanting one for bowfishing, we just always used the hay handles you can buy at tractor supply. They worked better than any gaff you could buy. If.....that's what your looking for.......

catman,
Kinda. LOL I am going to a bowfishing tournament the first of the month and we need one.

rukiddin,
How long are they?

RUGER":2y82xldw said:
catman,
Kinda. LOL I am going to a bowfishing tournament the first of the month and we need one.

rukiddin,
How long are they?

There not long at all. I think the longest they make is 12" or so. But we had gaffs and after buying those, we left the gaffs at home. They're thick steel with a handle and you kinda "sling'em" into the fish. We put several 50lb+ grassies in the boat with it. You sink that sucker in a fish, and the fight leaves'em pretty quick.

if you get a gaff, get one with a narrower gap. I thought bigger was better and got one with about a 6" gap between the point and handle. Probably knocked more fish off the line than we boated with that thing. Gave it away and got one with a 3" gap and it worked so much better. If your strike is off a little bit the handle guides the fish to the point. With the wide gap, the fish wound up in the bend of the gaff missing the point and then flopping around getting the line twisted on the gaff. I think that 6" gap model was made for big tuna or whales. ;-)

Latest posts

Back