• Help Support TNDeer:

New ride for the summer ! First boat

CritterGitter

95 stratos ski fish . fresh rebuilt 150 Johnson. My girlfriend bought it for us, she earned mega points haha ! :D .We Have Had It Out 3 times now and absolutely love it still learning and working out small quirks, which was expected in an older boat . Other than a few gauges not working all is well! got a insane deal on it we bought it from the second owner and he sold it as is it was not running right After the rebuild so we were really taking a chance. Ended up being two hoses swapped backwards And a bad plug wire!

Attachments

• IMG_10371.jpg
    IMG_10371.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,796
That indeed is a very good read. I've been on and around boats my entire life but freshening up never hurts. I saw somewhere I think on this forum where someone said they were some new laws for Tennessee in effect in July I've still yet to see what they were

Congrats on the first boat. If that Johnson has VRO (variable ratio oiling or "oil injection" in layman's terms) and I'm almost positive it does, I would take it immediately to my nearest Johnson guy and have it disabled and start mixing my gas and oil. I just blew up a 2003 Johnson 115 with VRO and after the fact my Johnson guy told me "after 10 years you should've replaced the pump or disabled the system". I am reasonably sure something went wrong with the VRO and that blew my engine. A remanufactured powerhead installed is over $3k. If you mix your gas and oil, you know the oil is getting in there. Don't take a chance.

Funny you say that , that's the reason this one had to be rebuilt !The vro went out and he took it to counce marine at pickwick and had it removed plus a new starter and power pack. I much prefer mixing my own oil and gas. I bought a cool bottle that has all of the lines on it and it makes it so easy. I read a bunch about these boats and motors and they say that is like the first thing you need to do is get that darn thing removed!

CritterGitter":32a6zv2q said:
Funny you say that , that's the reason this one had to be rebuilt !The vro went out and he took it to counce marine at pickwick and had it removed plus a new starter and power pack. I much prefer mixing my own oil and gas. I bought a cool bottle that has all of the lines on it and it makes it so easy. I read a bunch about these boats and motors and they say that is like the first thing you need to do is get that darn thing removed!

You should be golden then. I really believe these are good motors besides the VRO.

Latest posts

Back