• Help Support TNDeer:

new turkey shell research

ropintime

there is a new ammo at the NWTF this year by Federal using 7 and 9 shot, our TWRA rules state no shot size for Turkey smaller than 6, these were very pricey, you may want to research before buying. just an FYI....
i did verify with a TWRA officer, we can't use shot smaller than 6 in Tennessee.

No true at all. Hunters, game wardens and others have been shooting lead 7.5s and Federal HW #7s for several years now in TN, and many have been shooting TSS #8s and #9s, ALL LEGALLY. The H&T Guide has this exact verbiage in it on page 31:

"Legal Hunting Equipment
• Shotguns using ammunition with No. 4 shot or smaller. No restriction on number of rounds in the magazine."

With that said, there are still some old and outdated laws on the books for places like Land Between the Lakes and other states where a 28 gauge and .410 gauge is not allowed, and nothing smaller than a #7 pellet is allowed.

That's not in the regulations. Tons of people do it. The shot size comes into play with shot size no bigger than #4 simply because it is believed that 3s or bigger can penetrate the human skull.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ropintime":2daycb06 said:
i did verify with a TWRA officer, we can't use shot smaller than 6 in Tennessee.
If this statement is true, you would be doing him and all of us justice to very nicely make him aware of what the H&T Guide states, so he does not inadvertently spread erroneous information to other hunters.

I go by the printed regulations, page 14, which is different than what you are saying.

Shotguns (including muzzleloading shotguns) using
ammunition loaded with No. 4 or smaller shot

I think what you are referring to is the limitation for redheaded left handed people. They are a little different.

I was at the NWTF convention at Nashville yesterday Friday Feb 16
The TWRA officer was in uniform and I stopped him and ask before purchasing any of the new ammo which sold out.
Don't know a name so no way of making him aware of incorrect information. If this were to come up in conversation however, now we will know the correct answer

ropintime":1sw6s26i said:
I was at the NWTF convention at Nashville yesterday Friday Feb 16
The TWRA officer was in uniform and I stopped him and ask before purchasing any of the new ammo which sold out.
Don't know a name so no way of making him aware of incorrect information. If this were to come up in conversation however, now we will know the correct answer

He was tricking you so he could buy more TSS for himself. You got to watch those TWRA guys, they are sneaky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can't wait to try the federal TSS #7s!!!! Been wanting to shoot some tss but until now you had to load it or buy custom shells. Glad someone like federal finally picked it up. Wish Winchester would load it in some longbeard xr!!!!!

deerkiller300wsm":11tluq1a said:
I can't wait to try the federal TSS #7s!!!! Been wanting to shoot some tss but until now you had to load it or buy custom shells. Glad someone like federal finally picked it up. Wish Winchester would load it in some longbeard xr!!!!!

Shoot whatever you'd like, but if you are shooting anything bigger than 8s, you are wasting the true advantage of TSS. The only reason to ever shoot 7s would be if you were hunting in a state that really did limit the shot size to 7s or bigger.

Latest posts

Back