• Help Support TNDeer:

Ok speaking of crawfish

i imagine some are rare or endangered in some streams, and some dont belong in a particular stream and could become invasive to other species. just an un-educated guess though.

I think are thousands of different species of cray fish. Seems like I read somewhere that the state doesnt want them moved about to upset any sensitive populations. I do recall a buddy that went trout fishing on the white river the guide used crawfish as bait. He said that the trout would only eat crawfish from that river. weird.

RUGER":i7fm21n7 said:
Why the big tadooo about using them for bait?
Why so many rules?

TN has one of the most diverse populations of crayfish in the world. Several are in the threatened species category, and I'm pretty sure at least one is an endangered species.

When you allow crayfish from other watersheds to be used for bait, you run the risk of live specimens being introduced into a new watershed. That gives the possibility of the "new" crayfish to out compete the crayfish native to that stream and can eradicate the native population over time.

The regulations are TWRA's effort at protecting the state's diverse crayfish population while still giving anglers the ability to fish with them.

scn":b9oocs7u said:
RUGER":b9oocs7u said:
Why so many rules?

TN has one of the most diverse populations of crayfish in the world. Several are in the threatened species category, and I'm pretty sure at least one is an endangered species.

When you allow crayfish from other watersheds to be used for bait, you run the risk of live specimens being introduced into a new watershed. That gives the possibility of the "new" crayfish to out compete the crayfish native to that stream and can eradicate the native population over time.

The regulations are TWRA's effort at protecting the state's diverse crayfish population while still giving anglers the ability to fish with them.

Thank ya sir, makes sense!

There was one stream on the list that scn posted on the other thread that I found very interesting. Gassaway creek in Polk county. That stream is a micro stream and a tributary of the Ocoee river. There is probably hundreds of miles of tributary water flowing into the Ocoee and none others are listed so that tells me that there is rare crawfish in that ONE stream throughout the entire watershed. Just thought it was interesting.

scn":1qtv994j said:
RUGER":1qtv994j said:
Why so many rules?

TN is the most diverse state without a coast

Latest posts

Back