Omega group size ?

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
I just bought a new TC SS 50cal Omega. It is topped with a Leupold VX1 3x9. I'm using 777, Winchester 777 primers, and I'm trying to find a 250-300gr bullet that will yield a good group. I have some Shockwaves and XTP's and some SSTs. I will likely start with 100gr and move up and or down from there.

That brings me to my first question. My powder measure only moves in 10gr clicks do you think I will need to move in 5gr increments?

What are the 3 shot group sizes at 100yd that I should expect or try to achieve before saying that as good as it is going to get from this gun(2 inches, 3, more)?

Should I have a "clean" or wiped down barrel before every shot since my gun will likely be clean on opening day ready for the first shot?

How does your Omega shoot at 100yds and with what load (primer,load,bullet)?

Help appreciated,
Wally

Model70Man

I would first try your loads with your 10 grain increment measure. I shoot 110 grains of 777 and a 245 grain Barnes Spitfire and get MOA at 100 yds. Last year I tried Winchester 777 primers had several hang fires. I would pull the trigger and nothing. 2 seconds later.....BOOM!!! Be careful with those primers. I use the Remington Kleanbore primers. When sighting in at the range I would clean after every shot to make sure you know where your gun shoots with a clean barrel since that's what you will be shooting opening morning. Once you get the group dialed in with your specific powder charge, then shoot a second and third shot with a dirty barrel to see how it groups.

iowavf

I'm with DA, I don't clean my encore between shots because I don't want to have to clean it in the field. My gun is sighted in after firing a shot and the next 4 or 5 are dead on. I'm shooting 3 777 pellots and 275 arrowtips with kleanbore primers. I'm setup for a long range shots due to where I hunt, that's why I use 150 gns.

Model70Man

FOOTER said:
Model70Man said:
I would first try your loads with your 10 grain increment measure. I shoot 110 grains of 777 and a 245 grain Barnes Spitfire and get MOA at 100 yds. Last year I tried Winchester 777 primers had several hang fires. I would pull the trigger and nothing. 2 seconds later.....BOOM!!! Be careful with those primers. I use the Remington Kleanbore primers. When sighting in at the range I would clean after every shot to make sure you know where your gun shoots with a clean barrel since that's what you will be shooting opening morning. Once you get the group dialed in with your specific powder charge, then shoot a second and third shot with a dirty barrel to see how it groups.
Are you using powder(FFG or FFFG) or pellets? Also, what are your trajectories at 50, 100, 150 and 200 yards with that load??

I use one 50 grain pellet and two 30 grain pellets. It's dead on at 100 yds. I haven't shot it at 50, 150, or 200 yet. I dropped a doe at 40 yds last year and it hit exactly where I was aiming if that helps any.

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
Well, I should have stated I'm using loose 777. I really like that info you guys are providing. I should be able to do some testing this coming weekend, I'll post the results.

Thanks,
Wally

FULLDRAWXX75

trap,

I got out this afternoon, here is what I got so far.

started with 3 - 30gr pyrodex pellets, 250 gr T/C lead h/p sabot,
50 yds.

First two shot group(clean gun) 2.5" to the left,1/2" high,3/4"group.

Made adjustment to scope.

Third shot, 2.5" high at 50yds

Ran patch down barrel, not so bad.

Moved target out to 75 yds.

Forth and Fifth shots - 2" high, 1"group.

Stopped shooting, will clean gun and test fire more tomorrow. I want to know where it hits out of a clean first shot barrel before anymore adjustments.

Will post results tomorrow night.

FDXX75

FULLDRAWXX75

trap,

Last night I stayed with the 90gr of pyrodex, but switched bullets, changed to T/C shockwave 240 gr.(spire point) to see how they grouped. Not to bad.

At 75yds the group is @1.5" after five shots.

I after 5 rounds down the tube, the bullets don't seem to set as well. I stopped for this session.

Cleaned and ready for tonights sitting.

I will post results later.

FDXX75

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
Thanks for the update FD75,
I watched my DVD that came the gun last night, I was surprised that the guy, swap a wet patch then a dry patch after every shot.

I will be spending some time on the range this weekend with Hornady 250gr SSTs. I went to GanderMountain yesterday looking for TC Shockwaves in 250gr they had none, got online with Cabelas they had none,....Hornady's SST and XTP this weekend. I also have some 300gr SST, I may give them a ride down the tube.

group'em tight,
Wally

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
OK, I spent a few hours at the range (ORSA) Sat. shooting different loads from my Omega. After watching the Thompson Center video I decided that I would clean between each shot. I used a patch wet with Number 13 cleaner, swapping 1 or 2 patches until clean, then dry patches until dry. Some down between some shots as people coming and going at the range, posting targets then retrieving them.....

I used loose 777, winchester 777 primers, Hornady 250gr SST, sand bags, measured 100yds on our range. Zero scope adjustments until Target #5 and then I did not make enough adjustment. All of the aim points are the center. NOTE that the squares on the paper are NOT 1" squares.
Tar1_100gr.JPG

The target above was the first target with 100gr. I thought that this was "it" as I discounted the first shot which was the one in the lower right. I wanted to count it as a flyer because I used a bullet seater that I thought could have deformed the point. I questioned my third shot because I could not find it at first from the bench. But on closer inspection the two bullets made one hole. But I would move on and try another load.

Tar2_110gr.JPG

Above I moved to 110gr... not real bad, about 1.75" center-to-center. 110gr better then 120gr may be the trick.
Tar3_120gr.JPG

Above 120gr (notice how the center of the group is moving up a little?) It looks like the grouping is trying to open up a little here at 120gr. 4 shots in this group.
Tar4_100gr.JPG

OK, here (above) I go back to 100gr and check if those three on target #1 are the real thing. Well.... 3 shots about 2.5" . I was a little disappointed, hoping that the one away from the group on target #1 was a flyer.... I guess not.

Tar5_100gr.JPG

This was after a scope adjustment.... not much of an adjustment...ay
Tar_50yds.JPG

Here this a 50 yard shot to check where (how high) the bullet is at 50 yards. Its flat... I think I can stand to go up a some on the scope... but I think it is very huntable like it stands. OK, that's enought time for today... gota go more later?

BTW, I handload for all of my centerfire rifles and they all shoot about 1.25" or better. So I'm not done with this muzzy yet.

feedback welcome,
Wally

BSK

Trap55555,

As others have pointed out, the Omega is capable of MOA accuracy with the right bullet and powder combination. Good luck finding that with your gun. It can be tricky and time consuming.

Latest posts