• Help Support TNDeer:

On the water or off?

TRIGGER

Spring is on its way and along with it is thunder storms. Are you better taking cover on the bank or better off staying in the boat in open water? I had a close call on lake Barkley last year. A thunder storm rolled in quickly. My partner and I got off the boat to shield ourselves from the rain under the trees. Bad idea. First it started hailing (at the time I was glad to be under the trees even though I was still getting pelted with quarter to golf ball sized hail) then it happened the brightest light and loudest sound I have ever experienced that turned out to be a tree not 30 yards from where we were crouched down was blown in two by a bolt of lightning. The storm was over as fast as it started. We fished the small bay out and when we left the top of the tree was still smoldering. Is open water with no rods in your hand better?

I would say it would depend on how bad the storm is. In the storm you were talking about above, it sounds like there was really no right answer.

TRIGGER":3q2ixkyn said:
Hunt2Live":3q2ixkyn said:
I would say it would depend on how bad the storm is. In the storm you were talking about above, it sounds like there was really no right answer.

I could tell it was very dark but no way I thought it was hail.
How far where you from the boat launch? If you were close, I would probably try and make it to the dock if you could tell it was going to get bad.

I would think you're less likely to be struck under one of many trees than you would sitting out on the open water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to say. I got caught on the duck a few years ago during a storm. All I wanted to do was get back to the ramp. It was dark and seeing lightening arc between power lines and 2 different trees smoldering (one on fire) in the water deterred me from going to the bank. It was a scarry night as I remember looking at my fishing buddy a few times under the light of lighting. His hair was standing straight up! After taking out he said he could feel the electricity in the air. A friend that farms that area said he found 9 cows dead under those powerlines the next day. Who knows, but after seeing the trees and the land light up from lighting arc across the river and between the lines, I'm glad we stayed on the water and focused getting out of there and to the ramp.

I check the weather. If it's a potential storm I don't go.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Coldfusion":37rmefjf said:
I check the weather. If it's a potential storm I don't go.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Same here since I'm always fishing in my kayak. I can't get back to the ramp quite as quick as you outboard guys can! Especially in storm winds.

I try my BEST to monitor the weather and avoid anything strong.
In the event I get caught I prefer to be on the bank.
At least I won't be the tallest thing around.
Still might get killed under a tree but I feel my odds are better than out in the wide open.

RUGER":2b2n4bsb said:
I try my BEST to monitor the weather and avoid anything strong.
In the event I get caught I prefer to be on the bank.
At least I won't be the tallest thing around.
Still might get killed under a tree but I feel my odds are better than out in the wide open.

That was my thinking too but a lightning bolt too close to home is making me wonder lol

I have got caught in more storms than I would like, day and night. But like some of you have said, sometimes its too far to run. And mentally, I feel safer up in the woods on the bank, than out in the middle of the lake in a aluminum boat and graphite rods in the boat!

Ive been in many storms on the water as well. Im scarred for life. On days when its not storming im always making note of storm shelters on the waters i fish. I also have a rule now that if i hear thunder i go back or fish close to the ramp. I watch the radar like a hawk.

Craddock1":cpt3qlc1 said:
I always try to run to an empty covered dock. No one has ever come down to tell me it is a private dock.

The storm I'm referring to started and stopped like it was on a light switch. As soon as it stoped I hear screaming coming from the nearest house asking if we were ok. They witnessed the whole thing. The said "if your ever in the area again and need to get out of a storm to come in their house. Nice people. The woman just knew we were dead from the Lightning.

Back