• Help Support TNDeer:

Over-power bass boat

Spurhunter

Anyone know any specifics on this? Anyone had experience with this? Here's the situation:

I have a 2002 Triton V176 Magnum (17.5 feet) that I blew up last spring. I am going to fix the Triton up and eventually sell the Xpress I replaced it with. I just love this boat. The size, the hull design, everything. Here's the problem. The tag says it's rated for a 125. NOBODY makes a 125 HP outboard. With a jackplate and a 115 it would run low 50's. I ran 55.1 once lightly loaded on a cold morning. I want to step up the performance. The weight of the 150s is about the same as a 115. I know it will handle it just fine. I've never had my boat's manufacturer tag checked. I've never had my motor hp checked in a tournament. I don't fish BASS sanctioned events. I have not talked to anyone in the insurance industry so that might be the catch.

Pilchard":2po1n4cq said:
Will not be able to get insurance. If you do, and end up needing it due to an accident, they will use it as an excuse to not pay in your claim.
Makes sense. Not sure what to do then. Once you get used to a V6 and mid 60s a 4 cylinder and low 50s just doesn't cut it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

And, since the USCG does work on KY Lake, there might be issues if you were checked by them for being overpowered. It would be the same type of violation as having more persons/weight in the boat than the plate allows.

I guess my only option if I want to keep this boat is buy an early 2000s Mercury 125 and sent it to that Mervury Racing place for a rebuild and a "tune up". It still won't be a V6 and that's a lot of trouble.

Sniper":1a9nw8fe said:
The new 115 4s motors probably make more power than one of those old 125s and use about half the fuel.

the mercury pro xs models do due to the 2.1L displacement and tweaked ecu. the fuel numbers are better but not really half, maybe 15% but you dont have to buy extra oil. in the same boat its beats a 125 optimax out of the hole and top end.

as far as pushing a boat over its rated hp i wouldnt do it, 10-15 mph may not seem like much but it could tear it apart.

WTM":2jt5sr5r said:
Sniper":2jt5sr5r said:
The new 115 4s motors probably make more power than one of those old 125s and use about half the fuel.

the mercury pro xs models do due to the 2.1L displacement and tweaked ecu. the fuel numbers are better but not really half, maybe 15% but you dont have to buy extra oil. in the same boat its beats a 125 optimax out of the hole and top end.

as far as pushing a boat over its rated hp i wouldnt do it, 10-15 mph may not seem like much but it could tear it apart.

This boat would have no problem holding a 150 as I used to on it. They are built like tanks, but either way it's only rated for a 125. I would buy a new Mercury 4 stroke 115 Pro Xs that should generate more power and be more fuel efficient than an older 125. I would be hesitant to put a motor bigger than it was rated for.

Good advice guys. Thanks for the responses. Larry, you know what a solid hull this is so you know why I hate to get rid of it. And for me it's the perfect size. My Xpress X19 is really more boat than I need, even though I love being able to run 64. A newer 115 is probably a good option.

Andy S.":2vvjc93r said:
Spurhunter":2vvjc93r said:
I've never had my motor hp checked in a tournament.
How do they "check" the HP, regardless of who they are?
I always hear rumors that at big tournaments they will look at your tag in the boat for max hp and compare it to the model number on your engine ID plate. I've never seen anything remotely close to this.

TN Larry":3qmn4bv7 said:
WTM":3qmn4bv7 said:
Sniper":3qmn4bv7 said:

This boat would have no problem holding a 150 as I used to on it. They are built like tanks, but either way it's only rated for a 125. I would buy a new Mercury 4 stroke 115 Pro Xs that should generate more power and be more fuel efficient than an older 125. I would be hesitant to put a motor bigger than it was rated for.

yeah i imagine it will handle it. tritons are great boats and wished i had bought one or an xpress after i sold my skeeter. more than likely the problems he would see would be quick turns and possibly oscillations at higher speeds. all depends on the hull and chine design.

This probably doesn't help you but when I was a kid my dad had a Bullet rated for a 150, but had a 200 on it. Changed the stickers from 200 to 150 and ran it....

I have the 115 Yama SHO and my buddy has the 150 SHO. He tells me there's a chip for his that boosts to 200. They folks at the dealership told him the 150 and 200 are the same platform or something? Do they make a chip for the 115 that will boost the HP? Could be an option.

Latest posts

Back