• Help Support TNDeer:

Overgrown Farm Ponds

Mike Belt

I have 3 or 4 small farm ponds I'm able to fish where much of the bank is so overgrown with brush and willow trees that you can only fish from certain spots. Much of the time the bass are rolling under the canopy of these willows but strictly bank fishing you can't get to those spots. Hmmm-m-m, what to do without actually putting a real boat on the water. I'm thinking about using a remote control boat. Attach the front of the boat to the line on your rod. Attach a leader to the back of the boat with whatever lure you're using. With the remote control guide the boat to exactly where you need to be fishing. With a fish on grab the rod and try to land him. It might make for some interesting fishing. Anyone ever try an off-the-wall idea like that?

I grew up fishing the same types of places you are talking about.
I remember thinking I wish someone would make a fishing pole that you could reel up your slack and point it where you wanted to cast (under trees and stuff) and push the button and when you released it the line would shoot out like out of a gun. :rotf:

Few years ago I saw this very thing on some kind of infomercial LOL

I've seen those boats. The problem is it's rated for up to a 2 pound fish. That's why I thought about attaching the rod to it just in case big boy is hungry.

Saw a guy surf fishing with a drone a few years ago. He rigged up a harness to the undercarriage of the drone, set his bait in the harness, then flew the drone out 300 yds with the bail open on his spinning reel and dropped the bait. Flew the drone back to shore and repeated every time he caught a fish. He did pretty well getting his bait way out there.

In your situation, I'd just chainsaw the willows down and let them fall into the pond. Good fish habitat, fish topwater over the submerged willow tops.

Latest posts

Back