• Help Support TNDeer:

Patience paid off!!!

JRS

After reading several post and other friends talking about over calling I think that I took all that in which helped bag this bird this weekend! I felt like it would be a good morning but had no gobbling off the roost.

I decided to set up on top of a ridge that had a beautiful flat right at the top. Wasnt much going on and a buddy of mine texted me and asked if I had heard any. I told him no, but 5 minutes after I texted him I heard a gobble!!! Instead of going crazy with the calling I decided to be patient and wait him out! The birds seem to always work their way to the top of the ridge so I thought I may get lucky. I waited for 20 minutes or so and decided to call. I yelped about three times with no response. I tried it again a little louder and low and behold he gobbled!!!

At that point he knew I was there and I just sat back at waited him out! Sure enough about 15 minutes later I see his white head coming toward me. He came in very fast and then locked up at 40 yards. As much as I hate to say this I think pretty boy almost ruined this hunt. He didn't act like he was going to come in so I decided to lower the boom!!! Not only was I excited about getting him but I also was happy that I took a different approach and made it happen. Thanks to all who contribute to this site with their experiences!!! I think it helps us all be better hunters! 20lbs., 9.5 inch beard, and 1 inch spurs.
CopyofJasons2010Turkey1202.jpg
[/img]

Of course the kids had a good time helping breast him out!
009.jpg
[/img]

That's what it's all about right there. The kids looked like they were loving it.

Congrats on a very nice bird. I love that fan.

My daughter took pictures of my 24lb bird I killed yesterday morning. I was excited just like you. I love turkey hunting.

Latest posts

Back