• Help Support TNDeer:

Percy Priest WMA

Spikes Tactical

Has anyone hunting there? I won't be doing much hunting this year if any at all with the birth of our first child coming mid-September but wanted to know if anyone had any type of experience with this area.

Specifically - the area off 840 between the water and Mona Rd. This would be considered Unit 2 according to the WMA map.

Since I work within 5 miles of this area I thought I might be able to get out after work for a few hunts before heading home.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay

I have wondered the same thing. I work about 10 min from there off 840. Never been out there but some guys from work used to go and they said it was a good spot. May see you out there this year.

I put together a map. I hunt out on Priest all the time. I can tell you this, if the areas I have mapped are indeed the ones you are talking about, they are pressured more than others, because of ease of entry. That being said I have killed deer in the small area with the oval next to the arrow and seen deer in all 3 areas. The Area with the rectangle is the biggest and has deer, but you get a lot of people coming in, because it is accessible from both ends of the property. The area with the cloud has deer and I vowed to hunt it one day, but I have good areas and with my son being born last September, i can attest to the fact that you will have less time to hunt, so i have not. To be honest areas that are easily accessed from 840 are going to have more pressure. my advice is to go off one of the side roads. you will still see people from time to time, but less than the areas that are right on 840. The secret to Priest is bow season. if you hunt during bow season, do your homework, and hang a good stand on sign, you will most likely see deer most sits. After the guns start popping, you better find a thicket that is far away.... BTW don't trust those boundary lines they are drawn of memory. :grin:

PP2.jpg

BC -

Thanks for the info. That is the exact area I was referring too. I also have that same map from Google (minus your red lines of course). I also am using the WMA map.

I have private land to hunt but is is 1.5 hours away. And Sept 18th is our baby's due date so there won't be much time to hunt. Hopefully I can sneak out after work a day or two...

Semper Fi

Jay ours was due on October 2nd. I hunted opening weekend last year and shot a doe opening evening. got her home, butchered her, and got her in the freezer. the next day my son was born on Sept. 25th. they say first babies are usually a week late, but mine got here a week early, so maybe you will get lucky and your baby will be week late (don't tell your wife that :D ) that way you might get one weekend.

Where do you work at? there may be better areas that are close by.

I have walked and hunted every bit of it, many years ago it was great for quail. I have killed several deer there. There is quite a bit of pressure though, but it holds deer and some good deer on occasion. Where the bottom arrow is pointing in the picture used to be corn or beans every year. The fields on the same side of the creek close to mona rd also used to be planted. There are deer there though.

I work at TACLE Seating USA, which is just off of 840 & Couchville Pike.

The doc told us that the baby is measuring 2 weeks bigger than she should be so either she will be a big baby girl or come early. Either way she is a blessing since we had been trying for over 10 years.

I also live close to the Old Hickery & Old Hickery Lock 5 WMA's which might be an option to sneak off one weekend morning.

If you don't mind me asking when did you serve? I was in from 1992 - 1997.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

Jay

I hunted some of this area years ago and it seemed like the closer to Mona Road you were the more hunters you saw. But if you wanted to get to the back which typically held more deer it was gonna be a long drag out. If I recall the road was blocked by bars and you couldn't drive down it to get to the back. Is it still that way now?

Well I walked some this past weekend. It looks like it has potential. I am sure there will be heavy hunting pressure during the gun season, specially the weekends.

Hope to get a week day hunt or two in.

JP

Im in the process of buying a house right out by there. Thinking this will be my afternoon spot after work. We will see what happens.

JayP...I live and work within a few miles of Tacle Seating and have hunted most of that area on the map. Seen deer and turkeys but never pulled the trigger there. As others have said it gets pretty heavy traffic just because the ease of access. Having a boat is helpful with that part.

Latest posts

Back