• Help Support TNDeer:

Pond improvement

TNlandowner

Didn't know which topic to post this question, maybe someone here will have information.

I'm looking for a clay source near Carroll County. Two years ago, we built a fine 1.7 acre hole in my back yard. We hoped to have a nice fish pond, but it leaks. My only hope is to drain it and pack in clay.

I've priced Bentonite, and found that it would cost as much as the original construction.... that option is not feasible.

Thanks for any tips,
Jim

Does the pond have a drain on it or will you have to use a backhoe? Kitty litter works on some leaks in place of bentonite. Anyway you slice it draining and adding clay is probably the best route. Pondboss.com forum can help too. I had a leak in mine after construction and it just stopped one day for whatever reason and hasn't leaked a drop since.

I've seen people fence a dry pond off and put a couple hogs in it. Don't know if you want a hog in your back yard but atleast you would have some meat to eat if it didn't work.

I really wish that I could be so lucky as to have my pond seal... I'm a bit skeptical of the design and believe it may be the reason for the leak.
My levy is 14' tall with only a large overflow spillway. I don't plan on starting until the water is at it's lowest point. I'll have clay delivered, rolled and packed and try once again for success.

Last summer, the pond was down to 3' deep in only a small portion of the hole. If it drops like that again, I'll hope to use a high-volume dirty water pump and drain it. The is a company near Dresden that mines clay for cat litter, but I've heard they won't sell clay to the general public. I need to take a road trip and speak directly with someone at the mine.

My wife wanted a swimming pool, but I got my way and got a mud hole... She reminds me of my decision fairly often. She would kill me if I put hogs on the southwest side of our place as the prominent winds come straight over the pond toward our house ;o)

Good tips on Pondboss... I'm a member and have formulated my repair plan on several magazine and forum articles.

TNlandowner":xjthuu3p said:
I'm a bit skeptical of the design and believe it may be the reason for the leak.
Pond construction is a complex task. I just couldn't trust anyone local to do mine so i did it myself and still had a minor leak at the emergency spillway. Best thing i think i did was install a drain in the bottom of the pond drain pipe. That way if i have a problem i can always drain the water. I sealed it properly and used support collars so it would not collapse. I hope it works out ok for you. My buddy is having trouble with his pond leaking as well, we both think its due to livestock introduction.

i see clay trucks all the time between mckenzie and paris. i think they may load at unimin in gleason but not for sure. i know where my wife works on the other side of camden they sell red clay but it may have too much sand in it i dont know much about pond building.

Thanks, I've seen the trucks carrying the grey clay. I think they deliver those for the Kentucky-Tennessee Clay company. That could be a good option...

The red clay could be Smithdale... it is red and gels like clay, but it leaks like crazy. That's the problem with my soil.. LOL

MickThompson":20nbknvv said:
Did they put a clay key in the dam, or just shove some dirt around?
They dug a wide core then used a trackhoe to drop in clay, a bulldozer to roll it in, then a sheepsfoot roller to pack it in. We haven't found any signs of water down stream below the dam. However, I told the guy that I didn't want to fight lily pads, so he used the trackhoe and cut the edges 3 - 4 feet straight down instead of rolling the edges and packing them with the roller. I think these edges are allowing the water to leak out horizontally and then down into the ground water. Once the water falls below these "cut-edge" areas, the leaks seems to nearly stop. Until that time, you can see the level drop daily.

Back