• Help Support TNDeer:

Poor Poster

rsimms

I have been a poor contributor here lately. I feel bad about that. It's certainly not because we haven't been fishing. It's because we've been fishing too much. Business is booming. :super:

And we're catching fish... it's not coming easy, but we're keeping folks happy. Some years the catfish get in solid set patterns and we can almost predict exactly what we'll catch each day, and where we'll catch it. This year however, EVERY day is different. Each morning I hit the water, I never know exactly where we're going or what pattern we'll use. Thankfully, often by using Plan A, B, C, D, E and even F... we find something that works.

For 2 or 3 weeks, for the first time EVER in my eleven-year guiding life, I started fishing at Watts Bar Dam rather than Chickamauga. The Chickamauga bite got tough. :bash: But Watts Bar produced VERY well! Thankfully, the Chickamauga/Nickajack bite has picked back up some, but we still need some rain so we get more water flow. If you want numbers, in general most Full Day catfishing trips have resulted in 25 - 30 quality cats, sometimes with a trophy or two in the mix. However we topped out on one incredible day with 63 cats, including at least four trophy class fish. Those are fish that meet the minimum qualifications for the TWRA "Tennessee Angler Recognition Program." The catfish are beginning to spawn. That means our trophy blue bite slows down some this time of year. But blue cats don't reach sexual maturity until they are 5 - 7 years old. That means those immature cats, that can easily weigh 10 to 15 pounds, remain very active.

If anybody ever wants/needs some fishing info from Southeast Tennessee, feel free to ask. We're always happy to share whatever we can.

Check out the Scenic City Fishing Photo Galleries. And here's a few of videos and photos from some of our recent exploits.

[youtube]OPKmB_S-y70[/youtube]

[youtube]ylfEMiOsv7Q[/youtube]

[youtube]312xg03q8zs[/youtube]

[youtube]P1LZSx9TLd4[/youtube]

Attachments

• bissonette3.jpg
    bissonette3.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_9890_web.jpg
    IMG_9890_web.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 924
  • tim_joe3.jpg
    tim_joe3.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 921
For those in search of eater cats, the channel cat bite is on fire right now. Floating rock banks with the bait 2-3 ft under a bobber. 2-4 ft off the rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what is your recommended bait of choice. I would like to get some eating size cats.And maybe catch a big boy in the mix.Would you use different bait for eating size vs the big boys.thanks for sharing.

DRSJ35":131vpl0j said:
what is your recommended bait of choice. I would like to get some eating size cats.And maybe catch a big boy in the mix.Would you use different bait for eating size vs the big boys.thanks for sharing.

I would recommend getting boneless chicken breast. Cut it into 1-inch squares, give or take. It's excellent bait, tough, stays on the hook great... and what you don't use you can always refreeze for the next trip.

Of course cut bait (shad or bluegill) works great too, but if you can't get cut bait easily, chicken breast is my "go to" catfish bait.

Back