• Help Support TNDeer:

Power poles

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so I got a question.

I have a buddy that has a VERY nice bass boat and he has twin powerpoles on it.
We bream fish together a bit and when we are in his boat it is the cat's meow to pull up on a bream bed and drop the poles and sit there and whack 'em.
Very very handy and if they were cheaper I would have some on my boat.

My question is this, in terms of bass fishing.... what are they good for?
I mean if you could anchor down on a ledge I can understand it but they have trolling motors that do that for them now, plus most ledges are in deep water so the power poles are useless.

All the bass fishing I have ever done you are basically always on the move looking for the fish, either beating a bank or fishing some kind of cover and alot of the cover I fish is in deeper water too.

Other than on the MLF series where I see them put them down to hold them in a spot, and off of the cover the fish are in, while they take a fish off, I have never seen them used on tv.

So what do you use them for when you are bass fishing?

id say it would depend on where they fish. KY lake probably wouldnt use them as for instance, like Lake Ocheechobee or other shallow lakes with a lot of vegetaion and weed flats. but then again sponsors outfit their boats with anything they want whether they use them or not.

RUGER":2xzbr2t3 said:
Biggun4214":2xzbr2t3 said:
They hold the boat at the ramp so you can get the trailer. :D
:rotf: :smash:
Excellent idea ! :)

shoot for the price of those power poles you could probably get the new model trolling motor that auto engages and parks the boat at the convenience dock or ramp while you park the truck.

WTM":yec0i81v said:
RUGER":yec0i81v said:
Biggun4214":yec0i81v said:
They hold the boat at the ramp so you can get the trailer. :D
:rotf: :smash:
Excellent idea ! :)

shoot for the price of those power poles you could probably get the new model trolling motor that auto engages and parks the boat at the convenience dock or ramp while you park the truck.

Actually I have a buddy that just bought one of those trolling motors.
It was quite a bit less than two powerpoles. LOL

Targeting deep water structure they are useless.
They are great shallow water spot fishing during the spawn.
Great to hold boat at ramp.
Really a lot of money for not a lot of us usage around here, now in Florida as an example with shallow water and a lot of wind the are almost a must.

I wish I had them yesterday. I was on Ky lake in a cove off of the creek channel trying to fish a wind blown bank where the shad had been pushed up into shallow water and there were some bass chasing them. If I had power poles, I could have put them down and concentrated on fishing and not having to constantly be on the trolling motor trying not to be blown onto the bank.

I fish a bunch of big weed beds in the spring.. oh how I would love to have a couple.. those windy days I fight the trolling motor more than I do the fish...

They've become more of a status symbol than anything. I rarely see anyone use them once they leave the ramp. Unless bed fishing in the spring or sitting in the middle of grass mats an ultrex is the way to go imo

Don't know about the power poles but I have the new Ultrex trolling motor, yes that dude was expensive but I do not regret it one bit!!
It is AMAZING how well it will hold on a spotlock, put the bow to the wind and hit anchor and you are there......the harder the wind, the better it works!

I crappie fish primarily, single pole and spider rig. If I am single pole fishing I hit "go to" and it pulls up a list of waypoints, I highlight the waypoint and select OK....bam it motors to the spot and auto spotlocks while I am getting a new minner/jig on or grabbing a drink from the cooler!!
Will hold within 1-3 feet of the mark.

X-Tennessean":v0zj8ewy said:
Don't know about the power poles but I have the new Ultrex trolling motor, yes that dude was expensive but I do not regret it one bit!!
It is AMAZING how well it will hold on a spotlock, put the bow to the wind and hit anchor and you are there......the harder the wind, the better it works!

I crappie fish primarily, single pole and spider rig. If I am single pole fishing I hit "go to" and it pulls up a list of waypoints, I highlight the waypoint and select OK....bam it motors to the spot and auto spotlocks while I am getting a new minner/jig on or grabbing a drink from the cooler!!
Will hold within 1-3 feet of the mark.

My buddy bought one for trout fishing.
He said he can pull up to a spot he wants to fish and hit "lock" and he can fish a hole as long and as good as he wants to. :D

It cost more than my boat though. LOL

I used to make fun of people for having them around here but now I want a set badly. Trolling down a Bank and get to a lay down you want to fish you can just drop them and fish it without blowing trolling motor wash through it. You can also fish the tree in and out like you should. It's not bad in calm water but if the wind is blowing you into it is where the poles would shine. Rite now on Ky Lake they would be extremely useful for fishing the shallow flats where the fish are schooling this time of year. There was a large tournament won a few weeks ago by a guy hat never put his trolling motor in the water. He had multiple shallow bars to fish and would pull up on the "sweet spot" set his poles down and fish. He moves around back and forth on these spots all day and won the tournament. Some of the spots I have been fishing are almost too shallow for a trolling motor without mucking up the water.

I know one thing, if you are in the process of bending over to pick up your bream pole and your buddy drops the power poles and the boat is still traveling about 5 mph you will do one of two things:
1)Wallow in the bottom of the boat.
2)Go for a swim.

Notice stand there like nothing happened is not on that list. :D
:shock:

Im actually on the Power Pole team and can tell you they have a lot of uses in shallow water. Bed fishing first and foremost obviously, but also great anytime you need to stop. Going down a bank and hook a fish, tap the button, once fish is caught, culled and tagged to put in livewell, line retied from the fight, walk back to front of boat and start right where you hooked the fish, instead of maybe 50 yards down bank or on rocks, etc, especially if fishing in wind or current. I fish a lot by myself, makes loading and unloading from bank a breeze without scratching your boat pulling it up on the rocks every time! Fishing shallow brush or grass you can drop them and fish an entire area without blowing it out from trolling motor constantly swiveling and pushing debris all over the bottom to stay positioned.
I could go on but you get the idea!

Latest posts

Back