• Help Support TNDeer:

Prespawn bass stocking

catman529

Need to put some bass in my pond. Instead of buy fingerlings I want to catch some that are already grown up, and put them in there as I catch them. With eggs growing and spawn getting closer, is it too late now to expect the fish to spawn in my pond, or should they go and do their thing regardless of the change in environment?

I would doubt that you will see any major results in going that route.

And, legally, it would be illegal to do such stocking without written authorization from the Executive Director:

70-2-212. Stocking of wildlife -- Inspections -- Charges.

(a) Stocking of wildlife is declared to be a prerogative of the state. All persons desiring to stock wildlife shall first obtain a permit from the executive director. Such a permit will be issued free of charge. Applications for fish from the United States fish and wildlife service, when approved by the wildlife resources agency, shall be considered a sufficient permit for the purpose of this section.

Pondboss.com will have the answers, if you don't find what you're looking for here.

Wether they will successfully lay their eggs this year, I couldn't say. But if you have a forage base (bluegills are best for LM bass), you can definitely transplant bass and do good. There are tons of bass ponds that have been established that way.

Latest posts

Back