• Help Support TNDeer:

Pretty good stringer of trout

Crow Terminator

Loving this trout fishing this year. Can't get enough of it. I see people complaining on the social media pages all the time about how they aren't stocking big fish this year. These guys keep the first 7 fish they catch and then are done. All they have to do is set a size standard to throw back and then only keep the ones that are above their own limit. Not that hard to figure out. These were my best 7 that fit my criteria from Saturday. I ran into one guy on the river that about went insane over them. He couldn't believe I caught them in the same river he was fishing...he had a limit on his stringer but they were 8 to 10 inch fish. He said that's all he ever catches there. I asked him "are you keeping the first 7 you catch". His answer was of course, yes. I said "well I probably caught 20+ fish today to get these 7". 7 fish limit, total weight was 13.20 pounds. These are what I call good eatin' size. The ones that don't require 4 fish to fill you up LOL.

20200508_091343 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

20200509_093318 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

20200509_132745 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

20200509_132754 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

It's a male. They are colored different and have a more pointed nose. Females have rounder noses/heads and are usually the lighter colored fish. Males get bright red, especially during the spawning time.

Well duh on me.
Makes perfect sense.

I know on the White we catch them like that and I always wonder.
Now I know. :D

It's all new to me. I'm still learning about them. Somebody asked me a couple weeks ago if one I caught was a male or female and I had no idea how to tell til they told me

I am loving this trout fishing too ! Depending on where I am (river/lake) I've been using ultra lights or fly fishing. Never was much of a fly fisherman, but catching trout on fly rod is an absolute blast. I've also learned to throw back the small ones and keep fishing. If you do that you will eventually end up with some nice sized trout.

How are you cooking yours? Me & another guy caught 20+ the other day, and brought home 8 nice sized ones. I was thinking of trying to pan fry them. I've had them smoked and baked.

My way of cooking them is different than how most around here cook them. To me, trout always has a watery taste to them when I eat them how every one else does...can't explain it, other than it has a taste like you fell into the river and got a big mouthful of water. I've eat them wrapped in foil and put in there with butter in the cavity and lemon pepper on them. I've had em smoked. Had em several different ways. I didn't necessarily like any of them.

Where my way differs from most people is I skin the fish. Everybody I know that eats trout, will leave the skin ON and then remove it after cooking. To me, that takes all the seasoning they put on it, and peels it right off when they pull the skin off, and then you're left with that bland taste.

I will skin mine when cleaning them. Then I will pat them dry of the water and then dip them in a milk and egg mix. I like using corn meal over flour but that's just me. Store bought seasoning...the only kind I like is the Uncle Bucks from Bass Pro. Anyway...I keep some of that in a bowl that I can put a lid on. I shake them up in the corn meal bowl and then add salt and pepper to them once they are in the pan. I pan fry mine...I do have a deep fryer but the wife complains when I do fish in it because she says it stinks the house up and she wants me to dump all the oil out after one use....which is wasteful to me, considering it takes a gallon to fill mine. I use Peanut Oil. When they are in the pan frying, is when I add my salt and pepper to them, and I will also use some of the Duck Commander cajun seasoning to give it a little kick once they come out of the pan and are still wet with grease. To deal with the bones, trout have a seam that runs midways the whole length of the fish. It's where their lateral line was or close to it. If you stick a fork edge or knife in that seam, the meat will slide right off the bones...especially on the upper side of the seam. The belly side has good meat on it too but you have to be careful in the rib area on the lower side; that's where you'll get a bone if you're not careful. If it's cooked done, that meat will come off the skeleton really easy and be relatively bone free and then you can eat it without that water/fish taste to it.

My father inlaw cooks fish for my niece and nephew all the time. He cooks his in flour and leaves the skin on. The kids liked his until they came over and had some that I had cooked in the above method. They literally ate 3 whole fish each and now they wont eat their papaws fish haha.

I also watched a video of one of the Duck Commander guys cooking some crappie. They did it in a way I had never done...using mustard in a mixing bowl. I said "what in the world...that has to be nasty" but I have noted, those Louisiana boys know how to cook pretty good so I gave it a shot with trout. It gives it a whole different taste for sure. I saw another one where they used sour cream to make a batter out of and tried that as well...that one was REALLY good but it requires a lot of clean up...not really worth the effort but it does make some good eating. All that said...trout still aren't my favorite fish to eat. They just happen to be the easiest for me to catch without a boat.

Latest posts

Back