• Help Support TNDeer:

Primer brands?

Doskil

Is there enough difference between, say, CCI and Remington brand rifle primers to worry about in reloading?

Basically do you worry about what primer brands you use if they are different than what the data shows?

Or just use what you have and not worry?

I've used mostly CCI primers over the years. But, have used Remington, Federal, and Winchester. I know I need to check some loads on my chronograph but, never have to see what velocity differences there might be.

I do load development, so will load a ladder with whatever components I choose (or have on hand) for that load. With whatever primer I select, I get the best load with the combo and load it up for that rifle. So it really doesn't matter in the end which primer I choose, and will only worry about it if I get any FTF during load development, but I haven't yet and I have used foreign brands. There may be a few FPS difference between brands but that will work itself out during load development with a little extra powder.

I did chrono some .357 Mag loads with everything the same but, 1 batch had standard primers, and the other Mag primers. The Mag primers loads were way more consistent. I was using 2400 powder and 158 gr JHP.

I cannot recall the word used to describe the temperature generated by a primer ignition. However, different primers create different levels of heat. Different levels of heat light your gunpowder differently.

Primers from one brand to another ARE NOT THE SAME. In our reloads we try to use only Federal "M" (for Match) primers. I have some loads that have not changed since the mid-1980's. When we are forced to use something else, we always work up new charge loads.

IMO the best brand of primers on the market are Federals. The 215 and 215M's are the gold standard for large capacity rounds. I also use CCI and Remingtons with good results. But Federals remain my first choice.

Well, I have some news.

I purchased a box (1500) of Fiocchi Small Rifle Primers. While reloading a tube for the RCBS auto prime I noticed a few primers in every box were different from others. The primer was dull on the firing pin strike face and it appeared to be not slightly rounded as all the others.

Then, I noticed about 2% of the primers did not have that green paint/lacquer/something.

Yeah yeah yeah I know, Quit complaining, toss the suspect ones, carry on.

I am gonna query Fiocchi. I'll let you know what comes of it.

I am reminded once again why I like Federal "M" anything.

Latest posts

Back