• Help Support TNDeer:

Prop pitch ?

catman529

Got a 10" pitch prop on my 35 Merc that is pretty chewed up on the edges, but still rides smooth. I need a new one and want higher pitch. The boat takes off pretty quick and tops out in the low to mid 20s. If I give it gas it will jump out of the hole pretty quick. I'd like a little more top end speed, and have found a list of props on iBoats that work for my particular motor. Should I go with a slight increase to 11 or 12 pitch, or should I be more aggressive and go with 13 or 14? The list of props goes up to 17 so I know I can get a lot more top speed, but don't want to have trouble getting out of the hole. What would you go with?

Sent from the talk of tap

Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is test different pitches. If you have a local prop shop they will sometimes let you test used ones they have for sale. I'm guessing you don't have a tach? That would be helpful. It is impossible to give you an accurate answer but 2 inches of pitch is a good jump. But, you have a light boat if I remember correctly. If it jumps out of the hole and screams on top end I would probably try a 13 but that's a shot in the dark with the information we have to work with.

Spurhunter":2grtv8z0 said:
Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is test different pitches. If you have a local prop shop they will sometimes let you test used ones they have for sale. I'm guessing you don't have a tach? That would be helpful. It is impossible to give you an accurate answer but 2 inches of pitch is a good jump. But, you have a light boat if I remember correctly. If it jumps out of the hole and screams on top end I would probably try a 13 but that's a shot in the dark with the information we have to work with.
I was thinking I'll go with an 11 or 12 and you have me still thinking I'll go with an 11 or 12. I guess a small jump is better than a bigger one?

FWIW, I have a 2001 Mercury 30hp outboard with a 13 pitch prop and it jumps out of the hole fine and has a top speed of 30 mph with two people and gear in the boat (16' X 48"). I'd call a local prop shop and consult with them if you have that option.

Mudbone":95a35z91 said:
Mid twenties in your boat is probably about all you need to be doing. That's cookin in that lil boat!
yea there is some prop torque on the boat at top speed too :D wouldn't mind just a hair higher though, not much, just a little.

Performance Propeller in Old Hickory. Take your old prop by there and they will tune it up for next to nothing and it will be like new. You can also talk to them about what may be your best option for what you are trying to achieve. Great knowledgeable people. Here is their address and number.

Address
2001 Old Hickory Blvd
Old Hickory, Tennessee 37138
Phone (615) 847-5987

Well I stopped by performance propeller today and put on a new 12 pitch and rode around the lake. Rides good and the prop looks a lot better too, lol. Old one was pretty beat up.

Not really but smoother. haven't tried with only myself in the boat yet. . I'll have to take a pic of the old prop, it's chewed up

Latest posts

Back