• Help Support TNDeer:

Public ohio deer hunt.

mathews bow hunter

Have any you guys had any luck hunting public land in Ohio. Am wanting to try and go up there and bowhunt a couple times this year. Am will be looking for 120 class up buck. Do you guys see alot deer when you go to the public land state forest. Are they usally alot hunters. I know they aint gonna be big deer behind every tree but willing to try and kill a good buck on public land.

Cheap license and legal crossbow season is a recipe for a ton of hunters ..I went last year and seen alot of hunters ..but with that being said a person could kill a whopper there .I loved the terrain and layout just hated all the hunters walking all over me.

It is like anything else. You get what you work for.
If you scout, study, hunt near peak rut chase, and have some decent luck with weather, your chances for a 120 are better in Ohio than other places near Tn. simply because of odds.

But realistically, it would be more practical to have a three year plan. Every year tips the odds more in your favor.

make sure you know a 120 when you see it if that is what you are going for.

I've seen people showing off a lot of 110-115" "book bucks" lately. Not that there is anything wrong with shooting a deer this size, but it isn't what their goal was and I imagine they are disappointed when they measure it.

Research areas, but I'd focus on bluffy areas above ag ground if you can find it. Should be some tracks close to the Ohio River.

Headhunter said:
From all I have read on here a majority of hunters in Tennessee could care less about antler size.
I miss very few posts on here, but I must say I have missed these posts. Please point me to ONE post where a TnDeer member explicitly stated "I do not care anything about antler size." While I know this is true for some here and more that do not post here, I do not recall anyone stating they could care less about antler size. I look forward to seeing this/these posts that explicitly state this. On another note, I have read where many TnDeer members implied they do not care enough about antler size to forced their selfish wants and desires on the other 200,000 deer hunters through increased regulation ONLY to push their self-imposed big buck agenda (me for example). Maybe I am confusing the two.

Hey Andy if I have a doe and buck of any size in range for me I will take the doe all year long so you all will not have to worry about me taking the bucks :) But I still would not want to increase regulation on you all that like horns :) It is just a preference

waynesworld said:
Hey Andy if I have a doe and buck of any size in range for me I will take the doe all year long so you all will not have to worry about me taking the bucks :) But I still would not want to increase regulation on you all that like horns :) It is just a preference
I am not sure you understand my post. Let me explain. I NEVER worry about what others take, period. Do what makes you happy, but do not expect others to follow suit and then you become disgruntled if they do not. I have my own self-imposed agenda, but I do not expect others to conform to it. I prefer everyone to shoot what makes them happy whether it is along my lines of thinking or not. It takes us all to make the world go round. Hope this helps clarify my position.

Andy, your head is in the mud. Most of the replies in response to my post about shortening gun season, lowering buck limit, etc. all say that the majority of Tennessee hunters do not care about antler size.

Headhunter said:
Andy, your head is in the mud. Most of the replies in response to my post about shortening gun season, lowering buck limit, etc. all say that the majority of Tennessee hunters do not care about antler size.
I'd rather mine be in the mud than in my arse. :) Based on me and my 2-3 closest buds hunting experience here in TN, I'd have to say all of the things you stated have nothing to do with antler size, when looked at solely. Yes they may play a part, but none of them are the silver bullet in management as many like to think. Me and my buds get it done with the existing regs; I'd like to think others could do the same if they worked hard enough. To better prove my point, this is one of my best buds walls and he has ONLY hunted TN over the last fifteen years. I can promise you he DOES care about antler size, but he will not stoop to the level of pissing and moaning in hopes of changing STATEWIDE regs just to push his agenda. He puts the time, sweat and hard work in and makes things happen with the cards he is dealt, like most of us do. He is no super hunter either, he will tell you so. He finds mature deer, he hunts smart and he capitalizes when the opportunity presents itself.

DSC00163.jpg

Mathews Bow Hunter - sorry to hijack, I'm done with this post as it is taking away from your initial intent. Carry on about Ohio.

Great deer no matter where they are from, but your post trying to run me in the ground basically has nothing to do with me "moaning and groaning to gain an advantage".

I believe everyone will benefit if changes were made and no one would be do any worse than what they already kill. My main reason for changing the regs is (in my experience and I hunt as much or more than most) the growing pressure on the deer, wherever it may come from. Outside of biological reasons, the amount of pressure put on the areas I hunt is crazy and our long season is one of the main reasons.

Mathews bow hunter, I apologize. I would like to spend some time in Ohio and I am working on a spot to hopefully get a day to 2 to hunt there.

mathews bow hunter said:
Have any you guys had any luck hunting public land in Ohio. Am wanting to try and go up there and bowhunt a couple times this year. Am will be looking for 120 class up buck. Do you guys see alot deer when you go to the public land state forest. Are they usally alot hunters. I know they aint gonna be big deer behind every tree but willing to try and kill a good buck on public land.

Yeah, why don't you try this link to see the public hunting areas in Ohio http://www.myhuntinglands.com/maps/?state=1&counties=&forest=&page=. Hope it helps

one of my friends went up there last year, after he found out which area he wanted to hunt he called the loacal game warden and asked for advice. he said that the warden was extremely helpfull and put them right om the deer. he ended up killing a nice 8pt. so calling a ohio warden is my advice.

TRY SOUTHERN OHIO ,BRUSH CREEK STATE FOREST,SHAWNEE STATE FOREST THEY ARE LOCATED IN ADAMS AND SCIOTO COUNTY.I HAVE A LEASE IN ADAMS COUNTY NOW BUT HAVE HUNTED BOTH AND THERE ARE PLENTY OF DEER AND SOME REAL GOOD BUCKS IN THERE.YOU CAN TRY DOOR TO DOOR AND YOU MIGHT GET LUCKY IT HAPPENS OFTEN UP THERE,BECAUSE THE PRIVATE LAND OWNERS WANTS THEM ALL KILLED NOT JUST THE BUCKS. BECAREFUL ONCE YOU HUNT OHIO YOU DONT WANT TO COME HOME !!!!! LOL

Back