• Help Support TNDeer:

question on clearing land and turkey nest

waumpuscat

I have an area that will soon be cleared for a lake that is going in and it will cover about 3 acres of a large hollow that I have regularly seen turkeys in. Yesterday I was looking at the area sitting in my Ranger and looked over 40 feet to my left in a brush top there was a hen staring at me. It made me wonder if she was nesting in that area. What will that equipment being in there in the next two weeks mean as far as turkeys nesting in the area. Can they move and lay again?

I appreciate it guys, I am trying not to overthink this situation because I only have 122 acres and I try real hard to do everything I can to enhance my turkey hunting. I would sure hate to take out next year's crop, but you guys said it right, there are turkeys everywhere and I am sure they will manage in spite of my lake site taking out a nest or two. thanks

I love some of these comments :crazy: I would at least run the hens off the nest first.
They may renest, it depends on how much time they have invested in their current nest, if it's their first nest of the season or if its a young hen nesting for the first time.

The conservationist thing to do is to wait until the poults have hatched and then do your clearing. Have some respect for the wildlife, your dividends will be greater if you do.

Hey you are right, I would love to be able to wait until the end of June or whenever in order to absolutely guarantee that I will not disrupt any nest, but life aint working that way for me. I sure wish it would. I have a whole lot of respect for the wildlife on my property and that is exactly why I proposed the original question.

Latest posts

Back