• Help Support TNDeer:

Rare venison, is it safe...

I don't really understand why you would wonder if rare venison is safe to eat? People eat uncooked fish, raw shellfish, and rare red meat every single day. The only concern is making sure it's handled properly from field to table.

Yep, as others have stated.........it's all in how it is handled and taken care of. If it's tossed on the ground, it's not cooled down properly or has fecal matter smeared all over it and not cleaned off asap your are inviting bacteria, can you say e coli?

I have ALWAYS eaten my venison on the rare side and have never had problems

beef can be eaten rare because we control the internal parasites with products like ivomec, dectomax or tramisol. since deer have not been administered these chemicals are we at risk for subsequent parasitic infections if a minimum temperature of 160-165 degrees is not obtained?

eightpointer said:
The only thing that kills the likes of e coli, salmonella, campylobacter, etc...is cooking.

Unless the meat is ground up, the only bacteria should be of the surface so good surface temperature is all you need on solid pieces of meat. Ground meat can mix the bacteria throught so cook well...

I know of no parasites in the meat itself. Human tapemorms are carried by beef in the muscle tissue, but the beef in the US is OK. In other countries, get your steak well done....

redblood said:
i have gutted deer than had large roundworms. seen them squirming in the gut pile.

There ya go...maybe we should get ivermectin added to Trophy Rocks. Actually, that would improve their overall health, body size and antler growth....

The worms in the bowel are no danger. Even if you ate the bowel. It's the worm eggs and cysts that are microscopic that you can't see that are dangerous to susceptible animals. These worm eggs are passed in the stool and contaminate the ground and infect other animals as they are eaten.

Some worm eggs are dangerous to people such as roundworm eggs from dogs...:)

redblood said:
we actually feed it to all our pregnant females, stud dogs and show dogs.

Good healthy protein...low fat too..

When I was a kid, mom would take food out of the fridge and say "it's been in there too long to eat" and she'd give it to our beagles....I now wonder what she was thinking. Could have poisoned our great rabbit hunters....

Latest posts

Back