• Help Support TNDeer:

Record fish question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Not that it will ever happen to me or anyone I know but just for conversation sake....

Say you catch a largemouth bass that you are pretty sure is a new state record.
Is there any possible way for it to be certified quickly enough that it could be released back into the water it was caught from?

My buddy and I were talking about it and I feel it would be a shame for the fish to die but it would be hard not to lay claim to a new state record if you caught one.

Just wondering how you would even get in touch with someone from TWRA to weigh it and do whatever they do to certify it.

they have to take samples to test for hybridization, i think. i believe there may be catch a release world records, i think. i also think there has to be a witness to the catch.

No. I dont think so and its damn shame. When the state record LM was caught on my home lake, it was taken (killed) by TWRA so they could confirm it was pure strain LM and not any type of hybrid. That doesnt make sense to me because when TWRA began initially checking for the amount of florida bass influence in our LM popoulation, they sampled fish over 8lbs at our CBA weigh in. All they needed was a small fin clip and those fish were released alive. Dont understand the need to kill to confirm its genetics if it can be done through a fin clip. Id love to catch the state record, have it weighed on certified scales and let it go....to spawn.

Fishing for records is a thing of the past IMO. I would rather the satisfaction of watching the fish swim away than having any sort of recognition. Let em go, let em grow.

I know a few guys who chase line class records for tarpon in FL and it is silly. I still consider them good friends, but I don't understand their pursuit.... especially when doing so means you have to kill something of zero food value to achieve your goal.

WTM":2ne1svhl said:
take a look at the IGFA rules sometime for a world record. rod touches the boat-disqualified, someone else touches the line or rod-disqualified, etc.

Kinda like Pope and Young bow kills. Luminok? Disqualified. Fiber optic sights? Disqualified. Too much let off on your bow? Disqualified.

Spurhunter":27bg56il said:
WTM":27bg56il said:
take a look at the IGFA rules sometime for a world record. rod touches the boat-disqualified, someone else touches the line or rod-disqualified, etc.

Kinda like Pope and Young bow kills. Luminok? Disqualified. Fiber optic sights? Disqualified. Too much let off on your bow? Disqualified.

yeah P&Y caught grief over these and changed their rules about 15 years ago and is retroactive so if you have a deer that was killed prior to the change they will score and enter into the records. you still cant have a bow sight light.

Man that sucks. I didn't know they HAD to kill them to test them either. I just figured they died from the stress of over handling, hero picture shots, and that sort of thing. I always thought it would be cool to have the record and then donate it alive, to the Tennessee aquarium or something like that to live out its days.

I work with Jack Watson, who caught the state record spotted bass back in 2009. It's not the current record but was at the time. I'm pretty sure he had his mounted anyway but if I see him in the next few days and can think of it, I will ask him what he had to do to have it certified and everything.

WTM":3ml1yrt3 said:
Spurhunter":3ml1yrt3 said:
WTM":3ml1yrt3 said:

yeah P&Y caught grief over these and changed their rules about 15 years ago and is retroactive so if you have a deer that was killed prior to the change they will score and enter into the records. you still cant have a bow sight light.
Thank you for correcting me. I had no idea. My cousin killed a 141 and 3/8 this past year. It may qualify after all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I certified a world record Buffalo in the early eighties. At the time all that was asked for was positive id, 2 witnesses, a certified weight, and the fisherman's affidavit that the fish was caught legally.

Cant wait for the day they make us hunt with a camera, have a cross hair on it to prove we could have killed it, that way he could pass it on and another hunter could also share in the picture harvest lol

I'm not sure if I'd turn it in or not. Depends on where I caught it. But if I did turn it in, I would want to eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

catman529":3cjt42yi said:
I'm not sure if I'd turn it in or not. Depends on where I caught it. But if I did turn it in, I would want to eat it.

I would probably tell anyone that asked where I caught it.... and that would be a body of water that I NEVER fish. :D

RUGER":3cz6dcun said:
catman529":3cz6dcun said:

I would probably tell anyone that asked where I caught it.... and that would be a body of water that I NEVER fish. :D

:) Yep.

CATCHDAWG":2k3nszn2 said:
If it's a record sized fish, it has to be old. How much longer will it live either way? :stir:
there was that 25 pound largemouth in California that was caught several times and it lost a few pounds before it finally died of old age.

RUGER":25silgej said:
catman529":25silgej said:

id say something like marrowbone lake so everyone would go pay the fee to fish there and TWRA would have a new stream of income lol

Latest posts

Back