• Help Support TNDeer:

Remington Core-Lokt vs Hornady Interlock

7X57

Does anyone have experience with the Hornady Interlock bullet on deer? It's packaged as Hornady American Whitetail. I'm moving away from the Core-Lokt after defending them in a previous thread. My brother in law had several failures to fire of the Core-Lokts in the newly redesigned box. Not believing it being the ammo, I went to Wal-Mart and bought two boxes for my 1967 Marlin 336 that has never misfired. Well, the very first round went "click", I chambered a second round and it did fire. One failure is enough for me. I wait all season to make that one shot and have lost confidence in Remington after decades of using them. I did contact Remington via email, but haven't heard back. I'm interested in the interlock because it's similar in design.

I've killed two bucks with 150grn hornaday whitetail in .308. One drt, and the other went maybe ten yards. I've got no complaints and they go on sale often which is an added bonus.

I also experienced a misfire with Remington ammo this year. I hunt Fort Campbell so it is shotgun/muzzleloader/archery only. I was using the Remington Accutips and had a lightly dented primer but no boom. Needless to say this cost me a very nice buck, I went online right in my tree stand and ordered 8 boxes of Winchester Partition Gold and went to re-zero my gun as soon as I got them. The Winchesters were my go to round anyway but was unable to find them and on a tight schedule to get gun sighted in before the season began due to returning from overseas I tried the Accutips. I will say the Accutips did shoot just as good accuracy wise as the Winchesters but I do not trust the ammo. Also a friend of mine had the exact same thing happen with the Accutips about a week earlier. Have read online where this is becoming a common occurrence with not just the Accutips but with a lot of Remington ammo. Sorry to say but I will no longer use any Remington product, I did email them back in October a day or so after it happened but still no reply. From my understanding it has to do with the primer being seated to far causing light strikes on the primer (quality control issues).

The last few years I have killed deer with the SST and GMX cartridges. The SST seems to leave 2 small holes. The GMX leaves only 1 small hole, and a very large exit wound. Was going to shoot the ELD-X this year but that's another story. And I too have had personally, and been with my friends this year on the range, when our CoreLokt ammo misfires. I have killed all my deer with Hornady products until today - Fusion. That's another long story and off topic.

Bill

I have used the 150 grain interlock in .270 for years and killed many whitetails. I've never lost a deer I've hit and many are drt when hit properly. It performs just how you expect and dug the bullet out intact many times. It also shoots very well and I've worked up 1/2 MOA loads for my hunting rifles. My only suggestion would be to lean toward a heavier bullet. I didn't have as much success with the 130 or 140 grain as the 150 on putting deer down.

I've been shooting Hornady Custom 165 gr interlock BTSP in my .300 for years. It's the only thing I shoot.It's always boom,smack and flop from 50 yards to 307 yards. I've had nothing but excellent results with this bullet. If it ain't broke,don't fix it.

I'm currently shooting the 165 Interlocks in handloads. Group well in my .300 wsm
Killed 2 deer and a Bobcat so far.
I did recover the bullet in my last deer. Entered in the last rib and lodged in the off shoulder.
2d7fe4fc7060c634931282ce1a86cb9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hillbilly Hunter":3b3c1586 said:
I have killed alot of deer with them and they are good bullets. If you want to try the best performing bullets i have ever tried get some Nosler Accubonds.

Kilt my first buck this season with the 150 gr NAB. Dropped where he stood at 130 yds. 57.4 gr AA4350 propellant. I like'em.

MUP":27a8cjm3 said:
Hillbilly Hunter":27a8cjm3 said:
I have killed alot of deer with them and they are good bullets. If you want to try the best performing bullets i have ever tried get some Nosler Accubonds.
Kilt my first buck this season with the 150 gr NAB. Dropped where he stood at 130 yds. 57.4 gr AA4350 propellant. I like'em.
There is A LOT to like about Accubonds. Great bullet if you like accuracy, penetration and two holes.

I think I may try the Accubonds in my .308. Lots of good reviews out there. I hope they can give the "dead right there" results like the core-lokts did for so many years. I don't mind paying $2.00 a round for quality ammo.

Latest posts

Back